Switching to Integrated Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Hey everyone,

I own a Powercolor ATI 4830 graphics card. Yesterday, it apparently failed. I am assuming this because my display refuses to show anything, even though the rest of my system appears to be running normally. I also noticed that the fan on the GPU had stopped running. My first guess was a bad power supply cable, so I switched out PCI express cables (I have a modular Antec Smartpower 2.0 500 watt PSU.) Still nothing. So at this point I am assuming that its the GPU. I did try swapping it out for my old 7900 gs but it still wouldn't display anything. I'm assuming this is because its an ancient NVidia card. I do have integrated HD 3300 graphics that I could run temporarily, but I have no idea about how to switch to those without using the BIOS. I tried simply popping out my 4830 and connecting my display to the integrated, but that didn't work.

So, my question basically is how do I switch to integrated graphics if I can't see anything on my monitor? Any other suggestions on what could be wrong would also be appreciated as Powercolor charges 12 bucks for RMAs now :( , so I'd like it to not be the GPU.

Thanks in advance, system specs below.

CPU: AMD x2 7750
GPU: Powercolor 4830 512mb
RAM: 2 x 2gb sticks Kingston DDR2 800
Motherboard: Biostar AM2+ 790gx3
PSU: Antec 500 watt Smart Power 2.0
Harddrive: Western Digital Black 750gb
Case: Cooler Master Haf 922

Everything is unoverclocked right now. If you need additional info just ask.

Solution
hey there... i'm stating the obvious, but just jumper your bios on the MB and that should reset the on-board video as the default.

cheers,
simon

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I generally overlook the obvious unfortunately. Definitely will try that.

claec

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I've actually now found out that it is either my motherboard or CPU. I was able to try out my GPU in my brother's PC and it booted right up. As I write, I just received an email from Biostar saying that it is probably the motherboard. Thanks to sgoodwin for trying to help, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.