Status
Not open for further replies.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hey, I'm planning to buy the latest Macbook Pro 15 inch core i7 for college. I'm on Windows 7 right now, and have a huge library of videos, basically movies and TV shows I've recorded. I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I simply copy my video library to my external hard drive(NTFS formatted) and access those files on my Mac or does the external drive need to be formatted to some other file format?
2) Most of my videos are in .avi or .rmvb or .mkv format. Is there some kind of K-Lite Codec Pack or some other alternative for Mac which I need to use?

3) Not related to Mac, but I'm also considering the Studio XPS 16 1645, coz of it's full HD display and Blu Ray support. Anybody knows any site I can get it's review? Most sites have the 1647/1640 version reviewed. Basically I wanna know accurately it's battery life, coz that's the only place where it falls behind in comparison to Macbook Pro.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Thanks for the links :)

I'm actually planning to buy the core i7 version of MBP. That runs pretty hot too, so it's pretty much comparable in that aspect. Basically MBP gives me more mobility, XPS more power.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
It does? I didn't know that. Thanks :)

Btw which MBP do you think hits that performance-price sweet spot. The core i7 MBP costs around 2150(non-reflective screen), but is it really worth it over the 2.4Ghz core i5 MBP 15 or the 2.4GHz core 2 duo MBP 13? I don't wanna pay extra if it isn't really a huge boost. My main criteria is battery life when I'm in classes and decent power for multitasking(stuff watching a 1080p HD video on external display, working on a document and browsing with a couple of tabs open) when I'm in my room.

f2prateek

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
They're actually just numbers on most sites. I wanna have some real-world performance info, like if I'm gonna notice any lag if I'm watching a HD movie, browsing on a couple of tabs and editing a document at the same time. Basically I wanna have one notebook for all four years of college, with enough power so that I don't need a computer. The MBP core i7 seems like one which will have enough processing power all four years and be portable enough.

i7 is about 15-20% faster than i5,but for daily tasks you aren't going to see a noticeable
However both i7/i5 are significantly faster than core 2 duo.
But for your tasks(movies and web-surfing),a Core 2 Duo suffices,

Status
Not open for further replies.