Switching to mb altimeter

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I'm hoping it's simple - is there a way to change the pressure scale on the
default FS9 aircraft gauges to read in millibars (ok - hectopascals if you
want to be all new-age) instead of inches Hg? The "Metric measurement,
altimeter in feet" setting doesn't seem to do what I expected. I know that
one or two aircraft have dual scales, but the majority don't. As most of my
sim-flying is done in the part of the world where millibars are dominant and
I'd like to just be able to dial the pressure in without having to look up a
mb-in conversion first.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve wrote:

> I'm hoping it's simple - is there a way to change the pressure scale
on
> the default FS9 aircraft gauges to read in millibars

If you mean "simple" as in clicking a FS2004 menu option, then no there
is no way that simple.

You would need to swap out the gauge with an altimeter that has
millibars. To do this without a gauge utility means that you have to
manually edit the panel.cfg file. Perhaps someone else will have the
changes you need to include. Myself, I conceded defeat a few years
ago and purchased FS Panel Studio, a payware utility that makes it very
easy to move and swap gauges on the panel.

Now that I think of it, there may be a freeware panel utility. Search
avsim.com or flightsim.com under the FS2004 utilities to see if there
is. This might be a good option for you.

--
Peter

> I'm hoping it's simple - is there a way to change the pressure scale on
the
> default FS9 aircraft gauges to read in millibars (ok - hectopascals if you
> want to be all new-age) instead of inches Hg? The "Metric measurement,
> altimeter in feet" setting doesn't seem to do what I expected. I know
that
> one or two aircraft have dual scales, but the majority don't. As most of
my
> sim-flying is done in the part of the world where millibars are dominant
and
> I'd like to just be able to dial the pressure in without having to look up
> mb-in conversion first.

Steve, I haven't use this gauge for FS2002 for awhile, but it might work for
FS2004.
Got it at AvSim back in January 2003, I think; and it was created a year
earlier. Seems to work well.
You might give it a try and let us know what happened....

fs2002pressuregauge.zip

Good luck, Carl F. Prenner

Most payware aircraft have both scales.

and I think your looking for the term "QNH" as well. ;)

"Carl F. Prenner" <cfprenner@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm hoping it's simple - is there a way to change the pressure scale on
> the
>> default FS9 aircraft gauges to read in millibars (ok - hectopascals if
>> you
>> want to be all new-age) instead of inches Hg? The "Metric measurement,
>> altimeter in feet" setting doesn't seem to do what I expected. I know
> that
>> one or two aircraft have dual scales, but the majority don't. As most of
> my
>> sim-flying is done in the part of the world where millibars are dominant
> and
>> I'd like to just be able to dial the pressure in without having to look
>> up
>> mb-in conversion first.
>
> Steve, I haven't use this gauge for FS2002 for awhile, but it might work
> for
> FS2004.
> Got it at AvSim back in January 2003, I think; and it was created a year
> earlier. Seems to work well.
> You might give it a try and let us know what happened....
>
> fs2002pressuregauge.zip
>
> Good luck, Carl F. Prenner

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Trent Hopkinson" <hoppys1@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Most payware aircraft have both scales.
>
> and I think your looking for the term "QNH" as well. ;)

No I'm not. The term I didn't use was "Kollsman Scale". I think you will
find that QNH refers to the atmospheric pressure at an airfield location
adjusted to sea level - there is also a thing known as the "regional QNH"
which is the lowest forecast QNH (i.e. sea level datum pressure) in the
particular Altimeter Setting Region. It's measured in inches of mercury,
millibars or hectopascals (which is just a different name for milllibars
really). But then so is QFE and SAS. You set the QNH/QFE/SAS by turning
the knob on the altimeter to alter the Kollsman scale (the little window on
the altimeter with the numbers in it). So, I'm looking for a way of setting
the altimeter Kollsman scale to read in mb instead of the default inches Hg.
Oh yes, and the contraction of "you are" is "you're", not "your". :)

Steve