Switching to SSD as drive with OS

Aug 31, 2018
I am getting an 240gb ssd soon and I want my windows on it. I have a 1tb hard drive but it is almost full so I can’t just copy all the stuff on it. I am open to a fresh install, but I’d prefer to just only transfer windows if there is a way to. If not, how could I fresh install on the ssd and wipe the old hard drive to be used as storage again?

Solution
One approach is to have a dual boot potential using the new drive for OS and apps and the current drive as a storage and boot drive, a backup drive if necessary. Install windows on the new drive ( you cannot just move windows from the 1TB) ensuring you disconnect the 1TB during the install. A new x64 install is ~ 30 GB and apps will consume an equal amount leaving beaucoup room to take files from the current ( almost full ) 1TB drive. Ensure to use the current install tool from the MS download site.

When you plug in the old drive it can be used as storage, no need to wipe it. You could delete the windows files , eliminating the dual boot capacity, to give more space.
One approach is to have a dual boot potential using the new drive for OS and apps and the current drive as a storage and boot drive, a backup drive if necessary. Install windows on the new drive ( you cannot just move windows from the 1TB) ensuring you disconnect the 1TB during the install. A new x64 install is ~ 30 GB and apps will consume an equal amount leaving beaucoup room to take files from the current ( almost full ) 1TB drive. Ensure to use the current install tool from the MS download site.

When you plug in the old drive it can be used as storage, no need to wipe it. You could delete the windows files , eliminating the dual boot capacity, to give more space.

Solution