Nov 16, 2021
So I've been having a significant drop off in quality in connection during Gaming (ping spike and packet loss around 5%)(I've done tests to verify it was not game server side), I've had a BrosTrend 1200Mbps USB WiFi Adapter for a couple years and I've learned it's fairly inconsistent and has... a very cursed driver software. My router is directly on the other side of my wall, so it's close in that sense, but an unreasonable distance for a cable and I can't drill a hole, sadly. I have an outlet in my room that is connected to the same outlet my router is plugged into. I was wondering if a Powerline is a better alternative to a Wi-Fi Adapter in my situation? Also, any recommendations for either option that'd be as best you could get for Gaming?

Edit: I've been on 5GHz since the 2.4GHz was giving me more issues.

Last edited:
Solution
AV2 has been frozen and unsupported since roughly 2016.

G.hn replaces AV2 homeplug with a totally new standard, it's not backwards compatible. But promises higher bandwidth at the same signal quality. It's not much more money than AV2 at this point. I would get G.hn.

However, in some cases AV2000 can still be faster. So YMMV depending on the electrical system in your home. I would buy from amazon, try both and return the one with slower speeds. The Nexuslink brand seems to be the best G.hn adapters, but I'm happily using TPLINK AV2000 adapters to add wifi to my garage. They been great for several years now and give me 50-60mbps at roughly 25 yards away from my house.
Those are also prone to noisy environments... Microwave oven or cold AC start will give you spikes and jitter.
Hardwire is the most reliable option.
Before you spend money on it, try narrowing your wifi band (use 20Mhz channel width). Less width = less prone to interference.

kanewolf

Titan
So I've been having a significant drop off in quality in connection during Gaming (ping spike and packet loss around 5%)(I've done tests to verify it was not game server side), I've had a BrosTrend 1200Mbps USB WiFi Adapter for a couple years and I've learned it's fairly inconsistent and has... a very cursed driver software. My router is directly on the other side of my wall, so it's close in that sense, but an unreasonable distance for a cable and I can't drill a hole, sadly. I have an outlet in my room that is connected to the same outlet my router is plugged into. I was wondering if a Powerline is a better alternative to a Wi-Fi Adapter in my situation? Also, any recommendations for either option that'd be as best you could get for Gaming?

Edit: I've been on 5GHz since the 2.4GHz was giving me more issues.
If your room outlet is on the same breaker as the router, then it should be a good candidate for powerline. DON'T buy the cheapest adapters. They use old less reliable technology. You want units marked as "AV2". They are the most reliable and best performing. Good powerline adapters are around $100 :(

AV2 has been frozen and unsupported since roughly 2016.

G.hn replaces AV2 homeplug with a totally new standard, it's not backwards compatible. But promises higher bandwidth at the same signal quality. It's not much more money than AV2 at this point. I would get G.hn.

However, in some cases AV2000 can still be faster. So YMMV depending on the electrical system in your home. I would buy from amazon, try both and return the one with slower speeds. The Nexuslink brand seems to be the best G.hn adapters, but I'm happily using TPLINK AV2000 adapters to add wifi to my garage. They been great for several years now and give me 50-60mbps at roughly 25 yards away from my house.

Last edited:
Solution