SX2800 with HD4650 running 80 deg

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hi I have a gateway sx800 (slim pc) and upgraded the video card to an hd4650. I have no problems with the card overhearting (normally 50-55 when watching movies or just running windows). But when I play games (dragon quest: origins, titan quest) It runs around 78-82 degrees. My question is that is this safe? I read somewhere a guy drilled holes in his case to lower the temperature. Please advise and thank you in advance.

Solution
It might, as hot air tends to rise. However, this, to be practical, might not make too much of a difference. You should leave the case open, and see about a new case/computer.
80 degrees is quite hot for that mid-ranged card. My advice is to get an expansion slot fan that will help.

also, make sure you have an exhaust fan preferably two, and two intake fans. If this does not help, my best advice is to open your case, and have a desk-fan blowing into it. I've been doing this for quite some time, and it works fine.

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Thanks for the reply kind sir. Just a thought thought my pc only has 2 expansion slots. one is occupied by the gpu and the other by a wireless card. would drilling holes on the top of the case help lower the temp? If not Ill just take ur advise and open the case

dawards

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

hello i have the same computer, i was wondering how you measure the temp, does the unit have built in sensors? previous computers i have had did, but i don't know how to read temps on this box. i have added 4 gigs of mem and a galaxy geforce 9600 gt. i don't place demands on the graphics, no gaming etc, just wanted dedicated ddr3 mem for graphics. i think i have maxed the system out, just wanted most bang for the buck. somebody mentoned cooling options, any experience with that?

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Hi I run a HD4650 and the software from ati monitors the heat of the graphics card. Another option for monitoring is to download everst which is better because it also shows the cpu temp. As for cooling the computer I gave in and bought a mid tower case (antec 300) i came from the gpu running 82 deg when playing games to now 38 on avg. I also upgraded the dinky psu that came with the sx2800. Hope this was of some help

venturebrower

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Hi there. I also have an SX2800. Did you have any problems adapting the slimline components into your new tower? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

No it wasnt difficult i got a antec 300 and everything basically fit in