SYBER Launches Vapor Xtreme "Console" With GTX 980 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallovfc

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Why don't you guys set similar machines to test the performance of these consoles ? Then you can left the controller/form factor aspect to it's launch !
You guys should even set a Core i5 with a GTX770 as a fouth option. ;-)

Lamontiego

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Honestly, this is a really good deal if you add up all the parts for a home build type. I would buy it if I had the need. The only issue may be quality in choosing budget parts. A 450 power supply seems incorrect for this type of hardware.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
$1499.99 I almost spit my drink out on my monitor! No one is going to spend that much money on a steam machine. I almost think Valve would have been better off building there own dedicated machine which they could probably get discounted prices on hardware from having a lot more made and then go with a $500-$600 pricepoint.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
$1500 is not too bad. I just priced something similar with a Core i5 and a Silverstone Raven case & 600W SFX PSU... it came out almost exactly $1500

Having said that, the takeaway from this article is that the card is comfortable with a 450W power supply, as opposed to the specced 500W. I suspected as much, but it's nice to see a company doing some testing on it.

It'd be better with a 600W though... less noise from the PSU fan under load.

And that God awful LED light on the front... someone didn't think this was going in dark living rooms, apparently.

That's why I build my own.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
i know pretty much everyone is gonna say "hurrduur I can make the same PC for a fraction of the price"

counterpoint 1: you also get a warranty from the manufacturer

counterpoint 2: that is one snazzy looking case...

$1500 is a very reasonable price.

If you use PCPARTPICKER and try to build your own system with these specs you spend at least $1350 (including Windows and the controller).

For the extra $100 or $150 you get a much smaller, pre-built computer that hopefully is also much quieter.

I'd personally save almost $350 by using a GTX970 and i5-4690, then spend $60 to add a 120GB Sandisk SSD but if we just compare the specs as given it really is reasonable.

Here's hoping for a $999 setup in the next year with a GTX970, i5 and SSD/HDD combo.

Adam Wykes

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
What reviewers don't seem to understand is that this kind of machine is WAY too powerful to be a steam machine (as are the reference steam machines Valve shipped, which is kinda funny). This is a gaming PC in a small form factor with some UI rice and a controller. What's the difference, you ask? Steam Machines, when they debut, will be targeting the lower end of the market (sub $500) in order to directly compete with the consoles their UI is designed to compete with. If Valve wanted to compete with Microsoft in the high-end space, they would made a desktop environment the default and not put so much emphasis on Big Screen mode, and instead focused on performance and an integrated, smarter Wine wrapper.

In order to compete with consoles price-wise, you have to dodge the Windows tax. That's what the SteamOS is designed to do, and it succeeds it enables OEMs to build systems with a controller included that beat all next-gen platforms at sub $500 price points. Nothing else matters, because SteamOS can't compete at the mid- or high-end of the market - it simply lacks the compatibility of Windows.

ludogiuly

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
I was wondering if my 450 power supply could handle a gtx980. I guess this means yes... unless they underclocked it a little bit??...

Also, what about my i5 4570? Should be fine right?

fcabanski

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
A similar build is around $1300 with a larger HD, larger SSD, and more RAM. As for the warranty, all the parts are warrantied by the manufacturers. Paying $1500 for that machine is paying too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.