Symptoms of a faulty PSU?

Malkavia

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Hey all, I've recently had a problem with my PSU after upgrading my gpu last week. It's an Aerocool Integrator 500w (not the best or most reliable I know) and its giving me problems ever since I upgraded the gpu. The gpu is a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4gb, and the recommended PSU wattage for that is 400, so I don't believe it could be lacking in power. It is overclocked originally, but I haven't changed the settings at all. The gpu itself has no problems and runs absolutely fine to me.

It first started giving me BSODs, mostly when playing games or doing something intensive. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to look at the BSOD before the computer restarted, so I've had a look in Event Viewer and its produced the "Kernel power, 41 63" critical event but there's no memory dump, bugcheck or anything to go with it, just the critical error event.

About an hour ago the computer itself just shut down whilst I was gaming, before coming up with the Asus anti-surge warning message.

I've already ordered a new Corsair PSU as I know Aerocool isn't very reliable, but I was just wondering if these are common symptoms of a dying PSU? I really don't think it's the gpu, and I hope it isn't any other component. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
A faulty PSU can make the system reboot. Like a BSOD but it isnt a BSOD

And error 41 is a sign of a faulty PSU. It doesnt create a dmp file. But it does log an error 41 in event viewer

Malkavia

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Yeah, it's created both BSOD and Asus warnings for me now. I suspected the graphics card at first but it's good to know that it seems to be the power supply instead.