Symptoms of Static Damage?

Aug 9, 2018
If my PC was damaged by static, what would the symptoms of that be?

I'm new to PC, so not very experienced. I opened up the hood for the first time to upgrade my PSU and GPU. I used an anti-static wrist strap but i think i screwed up. I attached the clip to the inside of the case, but i didn't realise that it has to be attached to exposed unpainted metal. (There isn't any on my case it's all black) After i had installed the new PSU i realised what i had done, so i moved the clip to the ground pin of the PSU instead. But i don't know if that was any good either since the CPU fan moved slightly while i was putting the GPU in.

Anyway the PC boots fine, the GPU is working and everything seems totally normal, but i have OCD so i am Stalin levels of paranoid about this kind of thing...

Should i be worried or am i overreacting?

Solution
Yes you can damage components and not know it. Most of the time, that's how it goes.
...but I strongly doubt you damaged anything.

As I said....it's not that common.

Plus the fact that you don't have problems even further supports this idea.

I think your system is probably fine.

I work with semiconductors everyday. ESD damage isn't that common.

Can you destroy a component by just touching it?

Sure you can.....and it gets destroyed faster than you can blink your eye.

....but it's not real common.

First...you have to have enough charge in you to damage the component.....and most of the time.....you don't.

Then you have to touch the right lead that will damage the component.

Aug 9, 2018

But i've seen people online saying that only a few static volts can damage the PC. Less than a human can feel, so i wouldn't know about it... Like i said i'm completely paranoid that i've damaged a part that will cause errors in my files and games and so on. Regardless of how irrational it is. But surely if i have damaged it it would crash stuff completely, or lead to crashes in the future, not subtly corrupt a few files and glitch programs right?

Yes you can damage components and not know it. Most of the time, that's how it goes.
...but I strongly doubt you damaged anything.

As I said....it's not that common.

Plus the fact that you don't have problems even further supports this idea.

Solution