Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2022
We switched our users to OneDrive recently. However, we detected that OneDrive is unable to copy long path names and this is stopping the syncing of OneDrive agent?
Microsoft states that OneDrive software does not support long path but OneDrive support said that OneDrive itself can support long path.

The question is, how can we get these users to backup to OneDrive since they will not stop using long path. We cannot switch to another cloud provider and we cannot take risk with them not getting their files backed up !

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 24, 2022
Does the part of that sentence before "but" contradict the part after "but"?

If so, which is true?
It is true, it means that the long path name is supported inside the cloud , and not supported if you will copy via the Onedrive software from windows to the Onedrive cloud, got it?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
We switched our users to OneDrive recently. However, we detected that OneDrive is unable to copy long path names and this is stopping the syncing of OneDrive agent?
Microsoft states that OneDrive software does not support long path but OneDrive support said that OneDrive itself can support long path.

The question is, how can we get these users to backup to OneDrive since they will not stop using long path. We cannot switch to another cloud provider and we cannot take risk with them not getting their files backed up !
My company has the same problem but with Sharepoint. In the end, we had to shrink the folder names, move some folders around (up one directory), and rename some files. We have not experienced it on our individual OneDrive accounts, but the file paths aren’t as long there.

Reactions: Ivy Fridde
Feb 24, 2022
Unfortaintly , knowing the limitation will not help!
We need to copy all paths as it is, because transferring all the paths as it since it is too long or not, is important in our work, so we can't tell the users to shorten the pathname.
The paths maybe exceed 50 path per user , so it is not something easy to be handled and I know transferring from Onedrive to Onedrive is OK to accept more than 255 characters, but our transfer is from windows to Onedrive and it depends on the operating system limitations. Am I right ? so I am searching for a workable way to handle this issue whether it is free or paid !

Aug 5, 2021
We need to copy all paths as it is, because transferring all the paths as it since it is too long or not, is important in our work, so we can't tell the users to shorten the pathname.
The paths maybe exceed 50 path per user , so it is not something easy to be handled and I know transferring from Onedrive to Onedrive is OK to accept more than 255 characters, but our transfer is from windows to Onedrive and it depends on the operating system limitations. Am I right ? so I am searching for a workable way to handle this issue whether it is free or paid !

I would to suggest a solution that may suitable for you, what about advising every user to make an archive file that held copies of all files with their full paths inside Instead of syncing directly with OneDrive, then you may sync this single archive file with OneDrive.
On the other hand, you can use Sharegate or Gs Richcopy360 to migrate your files to Onedrive as it, no worries about the long pathname issue but take care , Onedrive accepts up to 400 characters!

Reactions: Ivy Fridde

USAFRet

Titan
(this may not be what you want to hear, but this is the way it is)

A limitation is a limitation.

If the allowable path length from PC to OneDrive is 255 chars (and it is), then things NEED to change.
I've run into this specific problem in our SharePoint environment.

And the actual solution IS to change the users habits, practices, and workflow.

Encouraging and enabling bad user practices only leads to more in the future.

Feb 24, 2022
(this may not be what you want to hear, but this is the way it is)

A limitation is a limitation.

If the allowable path length from PC to OneDrive is 255 chars (and it is), then things NEED to change.
I've run into this specific problem in our SharePoint environment.
And the actual solution IS to change the users habits, practices, and workflow.
Encouraging and enabling bad user practices only leads to more in the future.
I know and you are right , Agree with you in this , they must learn but in our situation we need all files and paths to be as it , no changes

Feb 24, 2022
I would to suggest a solution that may suitable for you, what about advising every user to make an archive file that held copies of all files with their full paths inside Instead of syncing directly with OneDrive, then you may sync this single archive file with OneDrive.
On the other hand, you can use Sharegate or Gs Richcopy360 to migrate your files to Onedrive as it, no worries about the long pathname issue but take care , Onedrive accepts up to 400 characters!
I know they accept up to 400 c , and compressing all paths in one single file is a good idea which recommended to me before but it needs some discussions with the management , to see if it is easy to be handled from the other side or not !
If there are a trial for these tools , maybe I will try !!!

Reactions: HelinCharli
Apr 6, 2022
Long path file names is not JUST the file name, it is the PATH too.
e.g. C:\Temp\MyFiles\2021\Financial\FileName.2021
The Bold part is also included in the file name path length.
So you don't have to cut down the file name, you can cut back the path

Feb 24, 2022
I appreciate your help, but I already took the chance to contact Sharegate but it was very expensive to get it working on windows.
We found Carbonite but it copies to its own cloud. also, we took a look at MultCloud, it is a good option but they work from Singapore and they sync to their own cloud then to Onedrive, which makes us confused about this option. Finally, we found our last option there: Gs Richcopy360, it works fine but we were hoping to find something cheaper, though their support was quick to respond.

Feb 24, 2022
Long path file names are not JUST the file name, it is the PATH too.
e.g. C:\Temp\MyFiles\2021\Financial\FileName.2021
The Bold part is also included in the file name path length.
So you don't have to cut down the file name, you can cut back the path
Also, this is a good idea that may help other users

Status
Not open for further replies.