nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I am hoping to have the 'links' folder and web shortcuts (from Favorites
folder) used in IE display the same on all machines for a user on the
domain.

2 problems:

1. Favorites folder cannot be redirected. An offline file shortcut to
'Links' put in a local favorites folder is not recognized as "the" Links
folder and not displayed in the browser.

2. When a shortcut to the offline folder containing website shortcuts is
displayed, the contents appears in the browser window instead of the
Favorites bar.

Anyway around this?

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:58:17 -0500, "Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com>
wrote:

>I am hoping to have the 'links' folder and web shortcuts (from Favorites
>folder) used in IE display the same on all machines for a user on the
>domain.
>
>2 problems:
>
>1. Favorites folder cannot be redirected. An offline file shortcut to
>'Links' put in a local favorites folder is not recognized as "the" Links
>folder and not displayed in the browser.
>
>2. When a shortcut to the offline folder containing website shortcuts is
>displayed, the contents appears in the browser window instead of the
>Favorites bar.
>
>Anyway around this?
>
>Nick

I use the Export-Import functions built in (on the File Menu). Even
works if you have a different browser BRAND on the other machine if
you export to a file.

nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for the help.

How do you keep the files current so that you have the same set of web page
links on each machine?

Nick

"Steve Urbach" <dragonsclaw@NOTmindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:58:17 -0500, "Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I am hoping to have the 'links' folder and web shortcuts (from Favorites
>>folder) used in IE display the same on all machines for a user on the
>>domain.
>>
>>2 problems:
>>
>>1. Favorites folder cannot be redirected. An offline file shortcut to
>>'Links' put in a local favorites folder is not recognized as "the" Links
>>folder and not displayed in the browser.
>>
>>2. When a shortcut to the offline folder containing website shortcuts is
>>displayed, the contents appears in the browser window instead of the
>>Favorites bar.
>>
>>Anyway around this?
>>
>>Nick
>>
> I use the Export-Import functions built in (on the File Menu). Even
> works if you have a different browser BRAND on the other machine if
> you export to a file.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

If you can find all the folders you could use this utility...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

Charlie

"Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the help.
>
> How do you keep the files current so that you have the same set of web
> page links on each machine?
>
> Nick
>

> "Steve Urbach" <dragonsclaw@NOTmindspring.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 21:58:17 -0500, "Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am hoping to have the 'links' folder and web shortcuts (from Favorites
>>>folder) used in IE display the same on all machines for a user on the
>>>domain.
>>>
>>>2 problems:
>>>
>>>1. Favorites folder cannot be redirected. An offline file shortcut to
>>>'Links' put in a local favorites folder is not recognized as "the" Links
>>>folder and not displayed in the browser.
>>>
>>>2. When a shortcut to the offline folder containing website shortcuts is
>>>displayed, the contents appears in the browser window instead of the
>>>Favorites bar.
>>>
>>>Anyway around this?
>>>
>>>Nick
>>>
>> I use the Export-Import functions built in (on the File Menu). Even
>> works if you have a different browser BRAND on the other machine if
>> you export to a file.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

(posted from ie6.browser)

>I am hoping to have the 'links' folder and web shortcuts (from Favorites
> folder) used in IE display the same on all machines for a user on the
> domain.
>
> 2 problems:
>
> 1. Favorites folder cannot be redirected. An offline file shortcut to
> 'Links' put in a local favorites folder is not recognized as "the" Links
> folder and not displayed in the browser.

I think you are mixing up two separate issues:

<title>KB158787 - How to Establish a Common Favorites Folder with Windows NT</title>

<title>KB179599 - Cannot Move, Delete, or Rename Links Folder on Favorites Menu</title>

<title>KB179232 - Contents Are Missing from Folder on the Links Toolbar</title>

> 2. When a shortcut to the offline folder containing website shortcuts is
> displayed, the contents appears in the browser window instead of the
> Favorites bar.
>
> Anyway around this?

I doubt it. Notice that Links does not have its own desktop.ini
so it (and its subdirectories) must inherit its menu functionality from
the desktop.ini in Favorites itself. The last time this issue was
raised I suggested copying the desktop.ini to the other subdirectory
(as an experiment.) I never got any feedback for that idea and have
not bothered trying to do it myself.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---