Synchronizing questions...

Mike

Splendid

I'd like to synch files between my laptop & office computer, as I'll be out
of the office for a while.
When I get back & the files on my laptop are newer, will these automatically
be updated on my office computer?

The files which you have selected are automatically downloaded from
shared folders on the network and stored on your computer.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> The files which you have selected are automatically downloaded from shared
> folders on the network and stored on your computer.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Mike wrote:
>
>> I'd like to synch files between my laptop & office computer, as I'll be
>> out of the office for a while.
>> When I get back & the files on my laptop are newer, will these
>> automatically be updated on my office computer?

After a week of working on the laptop, whaty will happen when I get back to
the offrice?
Will it update my desktop with the newer files from the laptop or will it
"update" my laptop with all the original stuff on the desktop?

Mike wrote:
> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>The files which you have selected are automatically downloaded from shared
>>folders on the network and stored on your computer.
>>
>>regards,
>>ssg MS-MVP
>>
>>Mike wrote:
>>

>>>I'd like to synch files between my laptop & office computer, as I'll be
>>>out of the office for a while.
>>>When I get back & the files on my laptop are newer, will these
>>>automatically be updated on my office computer?
>

> After a week of working on the laptop, whaty will happen when I get back to
> the offrice?
> Will it update my desktop with the newer files from the laptop or will it
> "update" my laptop with all the original stuff on the desktop?

You may try adding a few characters to the newer files
names, to denote that these are newer versions of the old
files. This also protects the new files so the originals
can't copy over top the new ones.
If you can designate the LT as the source for the sync, that
may also work -it is called inverse copying source.

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:20:57 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'd like to synch files between my laptop & office computer, as I'll be out
>of the office for a while.
>When I get back & the files on my laptop are newer, will these automatically
>be updated on my office computer?

Tell you what Mike I tried synchronisation a few times and always
ended up confused and with the wrong stuff overwriting the right
stuff. No matter how many times I read the instructions I still have
no clue WTF "offline files" is on about, the whole thing is so
difficult to figure mainly because it is appalingly badly written and
the nomenclature used is plain silly. I gave up with it - you noticed
did you?

I use Synchromagic - Uses "Source Files" & "Target Files" has a clear
easy control system and obvious options and a well written clear and
small help file..

http://www.gelosoft.com/adescr.html

It does what it says on the tin.

Jonah

Mike

Splendid

"Jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:20:57 -0500, "Mike" <mikey117@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to synch files between my laptop & office computer, as I'll be
>>out
>>of the office for a while.
>>When I get back & the files on my laptop are newer, will these
>>automatically
>>be updated on my office computer?
>>
> Tell you what Mike I tried synchronisation a few times and always
> ended up confused and with the wrong stuff overwriting the right
> stuff. No matter how many times I read the instructions I still have
> no clue WTF "offline files" is on about, the whole thing is so
> difficult to figure mainly because it is appalingly badly written and
> the nomenclature used is plain silly. I gave up with it - you noticed
> did you?
>
> I use Synchromagic - Uses "Source Files" & "Target Files" has a clear
> easy control system and obvious options and a well written clear and
> small help file..
>
> http://www.gelosoft.com/adescr.html
>
> It does what it says on the tin.
>
> Jonah

That looks like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!
Now why can't MS make it that easy?