[SOLVED] Synology DS218j NAS - authentication from Windows, also, what if there's a Microsoft account?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, so, this is two separate questions. Also, i wasn't sure if this really belonged in Storage, or in Networking. Kinda both, I guess?

On the Synology, I've got a pair of 4TB drives set up in RAID 1. I have a few shared folders set up on it, with various permissions. Most are read only, but certain folders are writable, and only by certain users.

First question:
Whenever I try to connect with my Linux box to any of the folders, it asks me to authenticate. It does NOT assume that my Linux login is what I want to use to connect to the NAS.
Windows 10 used to behave this way as well. But at some point, it changed to not requesting manual entry of credentials whenever I tried to connect to one of those folders, and will (apparently) only authenticate, automatically, using my Windows username and password.
How do I get Windows 10 to go back to the old way?

Second question:
Given Windows 10's current behavior, it's simple enough to set up accounts on the NAS for myself and my son, since we use local machine userIDs and passwords. My girlfriend, however, has a Microsoft account. Her MS account was set up with her phone number.
If I want to create a folder that she can read/write on the NAS, what would her username be? Or rather, what username would Windows be attempting to use?

Solution
Mapping a drive letter is a way to enter \\server\folder, user : pass only once. Your GF still can login it to Windows using MS account, and just using NAS credential for NAS access.
Set up an account for your GF standard way. When she logs in into the PC, manually map a drive letter to the nas, using NAS credentials.

As for the other question: Open Windows command prompt, and exexute "net use". If there are ghost connections to the nas, delete them with "net use \\mynas /d", and try again.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Set up an account for your GF standard way. When she logs in into the PC, manually map a drive letter to the nas, using NAS credentials.

As for the other question: Open Windows command prompt, and exexute "net use". If there are ghost connections to the nas, delete them with "net use \\mynas /d", and try again.

I'll give that net use command a shot, thanks.

As to the GF's account, she needs to use the MS Account because she has to be able to log in from multiple computers.

That, and, for protection/security purposes, I'm trying to refrain from ever mapping a drive letter to the NAS.

I realize this probably sounds like I'm asking for a solution with one hand tied behind your back...

TRENDING THREADS