[SOLVED] Synology DS218j vs WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra Diskless Enclosures

uria702

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Hi Everybody! 'm trying to decide between the ds218j and a WD my cloud NAS enclosure. My current NAS is a wd mycloud 10/100 that has lasted over 10 years, but I really want to expand the storage as well as access my media collection from my iphone when I'm not home. I'd love to hear from owners of either about what their opinion is.

Solution
I have owned four Synology units, so obviously I like them. 10 years is longer than Synology publishes firmware updates for their units. So after 5 or 6 years you will stop getting updates. The "j" models are the lowest end Synology units. You might want to get a 4 drive chassis even if you only start with two drives, because the cost difference in the enclosure is usually fairly small.

kanewolf

Titan
I have owned four Synology units, so obviously I like them. 10 years is longer than Synology publishes firmware updates for their units. So after 5 or 6 years you will stop getting updates. The "j" models are the lowest end Synology units. You might want to get a 4 drive chassis even if you only start with two drives, because the cost difference in the enclosure is usually fairly small.

Solution