Question Synology NAS only connects via switch, not router.

Afterglow967

Honorable
Mar 19, 2016
I have a Synology NAS DS218. The NAS works fine and has for a long time. I have it connected to a Netgear 24 port switch. However, if I disconnect it from the switch and connect it to one of the 4 ports on the back of my router, the NAS will not connect to my network. The NAS is configured with a static IP address. All 4 ports on the router work fine. I have plugged other devices in to each port on the router and they all connect fine. I have tried the NAS on each router port and it will not connect on any of them. I've restarted the NAS each time on each port and have run the find.synology.com each time. It does not find it. But if I connect it back to the switch, it connects with no issues. Obviously, it's not a high priority since the NAS works, I'd just like to understand the nature of the problem. Why does the NAS connect to my network using the switch but not the router ports when all the hardware involved is in good working order? Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

It should make no difference because the 4 lan ports in your router are just a small 5 port switch with 4 connected to the lan ports and a 5th connected to the router cpu chip. They no longer use separate actual switch chips but it functions the same way.

All I can think of is you have some kind of speed/dyplex negotiation issue with the NAS. Is your switch 10/100/1000 ports.

I assume if you plug a pc into the router and the nas into the switch they can communicate which makes the problem even more strange.

If you had asked how you can filter/block traffic between lan ports on the router I would have said it was impossible. There is no configuration on most routers related to the lan ports they act as a dumb switch.