Question Synology NAS - Power outage then shared folder deleted?

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Hi Fourm,

I've got a Synology 2 bay DiskStation DS220j, 2-bay, 512MB DDR4 NAS with two Seagate IronWolf 3TB NAS HDD - CMR 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 5900 RPM 64MB Cache.

Our wireless setup is a TP-Link Deco X60 MESH system.

The NAS had been running without issue since early September this year. Accessing the UI via browser, no problem. Accessing a shared folder I created (had only created one folder so far) via mapping a drive on my Windows 10 laptop, no problem. By mid September, I had transferred about 1.5 gig's of files/folder, pics/video etc to the NAS via the mapped drive.

I had not change any permissions, or any other settings in the NAS software, since setting it up and using it without issue for the past 2 & 1/2 months.

However, we had a brief home power outage a few days ago and since then I'm unable to locate the shared folder I created. It simply disappeared. Like it was deleted. I discovered this issue because I've been unable to re-map that path to the folder I had.

After the power outage, I noticed that I have to access the NAS web UI software via http://xxx.xxx.68.83:5000/ instead of what I was using initially that was a default of http://xxx.xxx.68.76:5000/. Perhaps not meaningful, just wanted to include this info in case.

The default folders from the factory remain (home, music, photo, video).

Any idea on why a power outage would cause my shared folder to be deleted and more importantly, is there any way for me to recover the missing folder?

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Fourm,

I've got a Synology 2 bay DiskStation DS220j, 2-bay, 512MB DDR4 NAS with two Seagate IronWolf 3TB NAS HDD - CMR 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 5900 RPM 64MB Cache.

Our wireless setup is a TP-Link Deco X60 MESH system.

The NAS had been running without issue since early September this year. Accessing the UI via browser, no problem. Accessing a shared folder I created (had only created one folder so far) via mapping a drive on my Windows 10 laptop, no problem. By mid September, I had transferred about 1.5 gig's of files/folder, pics/video etc to the NAS via the mapped drive.

I had not change any permissions, or any other settings in the NAS software, since setting it up and using it without issue for the past 2 & 1/2 months.

However, we had a brief home power outage a few days ago and since then I'm unable to locate the shared folder I created. It simply disappeared. Like it was deleted. I discovered this issue because I've been unable to re-map that path to the folder I had.

After the power outage, I noticed that I have to access the NAS web UI software via http://xxx.xxx.68.83:5000/ instead of what I was using initially that was a default of http://xxx.xxx.68.76:5000/. Perhaps not meaningful, just wanted to include this info in case.

The default folders from the factory remain (home, music, photo, video).

Any idea on why a power outage would cause my shared folder to be deleted and more importantly, is there any way for me to recover the missing folder?

Thanks.
First, you should ALWAYS set your network storage to a static IP address.
Have you used the "File Station" application in the Synology GUI to look at all the folders on the disks?

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's File Station that I'm using to see the default folders, but not the folder that I created and moved my files too.

Is it possible the folder is there, but "hidden" somehow (like some system folders/files can be) and File Station just doesn't see it?

There doesn't appear to be a Trash or Recycle bin UI that I can recover the missing folder and contents from.

Any other ideas.

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
UPDATE: - The shared folder I created had become "unmounted" after the power outage.

I found the folder was still present by looking in "Control Panel" and then "Shared Folders."

I saw my folder there, with a lock icon on it (it's an encrypted folder).

In the control panel, I clicked the "Encryption" dropdown and then "mount." I entered my encryption key and the folder and my contents are now visible in "File Station" in the UI and I'm able to map a drive to it now.

TRENDING THREADS