[SOLVED] Synology NAS won't turn on.

Feb 14, 2020
So my Synology NAS (DS1515+) Won't power on, I think it's the power supply, but I don't know for sure as I don't have a second PSU to test it on. The Paper Clip test was a success, but the system won't boot. I was wondering if it was a dead motherboard. The system has been working for years and has lots of valuable data on it that I need to retrieve. When I plug it in all correctly and nothing happens, no power at all. There are no burn marks or anything. So it's either the motherboard or the PSU, I just need to know if it is the motherboard, because I will buy a new PSU to test it. Thanks.

PSU Sticker: View: https://imgur.com/CMvIUBD

PSU on Synology Spare Parts Site: View: https://imgur.com/drmbi7H

The Synology NAS itself: View: https://imgur.com/Uxi9muu

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Likely still the PSU. Given its been a likely24/7 system for years by design, could be the case. Had this behavior occur in a regular build years back. Paperclip test was fine, but no power-up at all when connected to motherboard and other components. Standby LEDs only.
Likely still the PSU. Given its been a likely24/7 system for years by design, could be the case. Had this behavior occur in a regular build years back. Paperclip test was fine, but no power-up at all when connected to motherboard and other components. Standby LEDs only.

Solution
It sounds like a motherboard fault to me. The motherboard needs to sense your button press and then send a signal to the PSU. If the motherboard is brain dead, then it won't sense the button, nor will it do anything when the PSU powers up.

I would measure the 5VSB (5V standby) supply just to be sure.

Feb 14, 2020
I had no LED's at all so, I hope its the PSU.

Feb 14, 2020
I had no LED's at all so, I hope its the PSU.

Feb 14, 2020
It sounds like a motherboard fault to me. The motherboard needs to sense your button press and then send a signal to the PSU. If the motherboard is brain dead, then it won't sense the button, nor will it do anything when the PSU powers up.

I would measure the 5VSB (5V standby) supply just to be sure.
I don't have a Power Supply tester, so...

Feb 14, 2020
After doing some tests with a test PSU that I bought, I have determined that it is the PSU, as by using the test PSU, the system turned on, so.
IT'S THE PSU. I can buy a replacement PSU so I'll be ok from here.

Ok. Thanks for the update. I keep a test PSU around myself as well for such an occasion. Glad you are up and running and data is intact and just awaiting the replacement PSU. On a side note, bought a new Synology myself recently to replace my very old basic one, DS112J. Went with DS218+, great unit for its purpose.

TRENDING THREADS