[SOLVED] Sys_Fan vs Fan Hub

Jan 29, 2021
Hello everyone.
This is my first build, so I’m sorry if it seems like a stupid question.

I own the B550 Aorus Pro AC. And I realized that I might won’t be needing the Silverstone fan hub that I just bought since I have enough sys_fan header on the motherboard. so I am left with an extra fan hub.

So here is my question :
Am I better to use all my sys_fan header to plug my case fans, or should i use the fan hub ?

Solution
The only real advantage of using the Silverstone Hub unit you have is that it can centralize cable routing if you're concerned with a super-neat case interior. One side-effect, though, is that the header you use for that can only display the speeds of ONE of those fans, and ignore the others. If you skip that and connect all your case fans to individual mobo headers, each header can display the speed of its single fan for you. This has NO impact on ability to control the fan speeds. A second function of any fan header is to monitor the speed signal it gets, and send you an alarm if that ever goes "dead" indicating that the fan has failed. That's somehat helpful, but not really essential, for a case fan.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only real advantage of using the Silverstone Hub unit you have is that it can centralize cable routing if you're concerned with a super-neat case interior. One side-effect, though, is that the header you use for that can only display the speeds of ONE of those fans, and ignore the others. If you skip that and connect all your case fans to individual mobo headers, each header can display the speed of its single fan for you. This has NO impact on ability to control the fan speeds. A second function of any fan header is to monitor the speed signal it gets, and send you an alarm if that ever goes "dead" indicating that the fan has failed. That's somehat helpful, but not really essential, for a case fan.

Reactions: Kamaiko
Solution
Jan 29, 2021
You answer my question! Thank you very much!

Latest posts