syslog via an unmanaged webserver

Bryantdl7

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have an Asus RTac51u router, which supports outputting all router messages to a syslog server.

I know how to do a syslog server, but I am cheap and would rather run it off of a apache based php webserver. Does anything like this exist? All I am looking to do is forward my logs to a webserver so that I don't need to keep a local device on all the time.

This is just for the sake of me being a networking nerd and wanting to see everything that happens on my router. My router puts all logs in RAM so once it reboots all logs are lost - which makes sense due to NVRAM having only so many write cycles.

Also on a side note, asus routers have linux installed on them, so I have a working telnet console that I can use to run commands outside of the regular web interface of the device, if there is some fancy workaround I can use.

Anyways, let me know, thanks in advance!

Bryantdl7

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Bryantdl7 : "Logging system messages to flashdrive on asus router"

Hello again, if you have seen my previous post then you know that I am looking for ways to save syslog messages, or really any system messages to something other than RAM. Asus routers run a form of linux, so my question is there any way to force system messages to be wrote to a mounted removable disk (e.g. flash drive) and have them be sorted by date?

Thanks in advance.