Question System acting really weird, temps getting higher ?

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022

Hello there, I've got back from my trip that was like 12 days ago, and tried to use computer as normal, it worked just fine, however, yesterday, and the day before that, the system started to become unresponsive sometimes, like it will take longer to process, games will freeze/unfreeze and such things, and I was wondering as to what might be wrong with the system. Temps been hitting above 70's, 76.5C when I open a browser, in games, about the same, 77c~ or so. I have 3 front intake fans that are 140MM Silent wings pro 4 by Be Quiet, 3 Pure Wings 2 PWM High Speed 140MM fans that are on top of the case that are acting as the exhaust fans, the rest of them are Noctua fans, including d15s. So in general, the case itself has 3 front intake fans, and 4-5 exhaust fans, just the case, the D15's has 2.​

Yet, just today I've changed my thermal paste to Arctic Silver MX-4, can't say that improved temps much.

AMD Ryzen 5900x (B2)
MSI B550M Pro VDH
32GB (16GBx16GB) 3600 MHZ XMP Profile 1 Corsair Vengeance C16
Silent Base 802
Manli RTX 3060
Aero Cool RGB 750W LUX
Gygabyte 1 TB Nvme
Silicon Power 250 GB Nvme SSD

Hey there,

Your four x16gb DIMMs are all from the same pack? Or two sets. Try one then the other. See if it makes any difference.

You can run memtest86+ to test the ram outside of windows.

What bios are you running?

Also, the Aerocool PSU is not something I'd put in a rig. You might look at that soon.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Hey there,

Your four x16gb DIMMs are all from the same pack? Or two sets. Try one then the other. See if it makes any difference.

You can run memtest86+ to test the ram outside of windows.

What bios are you running?

Also, the Aerocool PSU is not something I'd put in a rig. You might look at that soon.
No no I mean, it's dual kit 16gb and 16 gb, came in one package. Actually I did ran memtest86+.

Hmm bios 2C0 or something.

PSU causing overheating, or in general ?

No no I mean, it's dual kit 16gb and 16 gb, came in one package. Actually I did ran memtest86+.

Hmm bios 2C0 or something.

PSU causing overheating, or in general ?
Apologies I meant 4 x 8. Anyway, you've cleared that up.

Bios should be version 7C95v2G. It will have some bugs fixes, compatibility for memory.

I guess the Aerocool could be unloading it's heat inside the chassis. It is a poor PSU.

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Apologies I meant 4 x 8. Anyway, you've cleared that up.

Bios should be version 7C95v2G. It will have some bugs fixes, compatibility for memory.

I guess the Aerocool could be unloading it's heat inside the chassis. It is a poor a psu
Yeah, I've updated the bios many times before, I think mine was 1 update older or something like that. Really, bios could have caused excessive heat?

Well, it is a weird looking psu, Although, the case a pretty decent air flow/ exhaust, maybe hot days outside could be the culprit?

Yeah, I've updated the bios many times before, I think mine was 1 update older or something like that. Really, bios could have caused excessive heat?

Well, it is a weird looking psu, Although, the case a pretty decent air flow/ exhaust, maybe hot days outside could be the culprit?
Did you clear CMOS each time you updated the bios?

Yes, a bios can cause all manor of things to occur, unintentionally.

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
What is the CPU utilization when these freezes occur?

This sounds a lot like something undesirable running in the background causing high utilization and thus temps, to me.
Thats the very first thing that I actually thought of it, and I've imeddiately tried to look out for the source of the problem, even have to reset the windows. Utilization was not even 20%, something like 10-15-20%~, its like the cpu was doing barely doing any lifting...

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Hmm, As a matter of fact I did, yes, I've tried to clear it after it got updated, though in the past, I had no idea it was that crucial.

So you took the battery out, and shorted two pins?

It's good that you have the right practises going on :)
Well I just took the battery out, waited for about a minute, and then I put the battery back in, hell, I've even tried to use the new battery to be absolutely sure. Hmm, shorting the pins? Can't say that I did that, since most guides recommend to just take the battery out and then put the battery back in, unless you mean shorting the pins while the battery still in the mobo?

Well I just took the battery out, waited for about a minute, and then I put the battery back in, hell, I've even tried to use the new battery to be absolutely sure. Hmm, shorting the pins? Can't say that I did that, since most guides recommend to just take the battery out and then put the battery back in, unless you mean shorting the pins while the battery still in the mobo?

No, power off system, remove battery, then short the CLRTC pins. If they are not there don't do anything, other than what's appropriate for your system.

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Yes, exactly. Not all mobos use the jumper. But that's the one. You switch it from one set of two pins to an adjacent set (normally just pin across). God, I hope that makes sense :)
Yeah buddy, don't worry about it, I've seen on youtube on how it's done, shouldn't be that hard. Just out of curiousity, do you personally think that, 4 fans in a cpu socket is too much?