System and Compressed Memory

iglorify

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Hello, I am having issues with terrible FPS drops randomly in games after playing for a short amount of time. I have seemingly tried everything that I have known to try and stop this and I think I may have narrowed it down to my GPU usage being close to 100%, and the culprit being in the "System and Compressed Memory" process. I am curious if anyone knows what I can do about this, if anything.
When I open the file location, it's in C:\Windows\System32 and the file is named "ntoskrnl" by NT Kernel and System.. When I try to open the file, it says I can't in win32 mode.
Is this file even my issue? Please help!

If you are curious, it is an HP Envy laptop, Specs include:
Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHZ
16.0 GB RAM
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Anything Helps!

genthug

Honorable
What games are you attempting to play off of Intel HD graphics?

Just as an aside--I tried it out once because I was curious... on my W541 (has an i7 4710MQ in it) playing GTAV (online) I was able to hit 15 FPS in a window with a resolution of 800*600. If you're running games off of your HD graphics, yes you are not going to get any good frames out of it, especially if it's not anything more than a side-scroller or a 10-15 year old game.

iglorify

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

I am playing H1Z1 and I have a built in NVidia processor, The game runs very smoothly and looks good for a random amount of time, and then goes poorly afterwards.

genthug

Honorable
Okay, what's your discrete card?
Also, how hot is your GPU/CPU during this time?
I know that on my laptop, if I'm playing a heavy game my CPU will (if I'm not using my cooling pad) hit almost 100C, my GPU will hit almost 90C.

iglorify

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

I'm unfamiliar with what a discrete card is, and I've never downloaded a tempcheck, I was mostly curious if it had to do with this "ntoskrnl" file.
I will download a tempcheck and run it when I play next.