Question System apparently powering on, but not booting

Mar 25, 2023
Hello! I am building a gaming PC for the first time, but I cannot for the life of me get it to boot, and I’m not sure if the system is making it to POST. I’ve already tried every troubleshooting avenue I’ve found, but nothing seems to resolve my problem.

The issue I’m having is: I press the I/O switch on the PSU, and there is immediately a series of metallic pops. A red LED on the backside of the motherboard flashes in unison with the pops, and the rear case fan occasionally twitches in time with the pops. The LED is not labeled or mentioned in the boards manual, nor is it near any port or component. After the pops and LED finish, the AIO fans will spin up for a second or two before stopping. No other lights come on, and my monitor doesn’t turn on either.

For reference, my part list is:
Intel i9-13900K
RTX 3060 Ti LHR
16 Gb DDR5 RAM (1 stick)
1 Tb M.2 SSD (Sabrent Rocket Q)
ASRock B760 Pro Rs motherboard
AIO CPU Cooler
Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 desktop kit

What could be causing this issue, and how can I fix it?

DSzymborski

Titan
What's the PSU? Most important part of any to know. Unfortunately, it sounds like something isn't connected properly. I'm not sure why you keep running it when you hear sounds like that; if it's the sound I'm thinking of, it may be something being destroyed by the wrong voltage. You should never be hearing metallic pops, yet it sounds like you're running it again and again since you've done it so often that you can describe your fan as "occasionally" twitching in time with the pops.

You should breadboard a PC outside the case and certainly from the first time. Just motherboard, one stick of RAM (why a single stick? you're handicapping your PC once you get it working), CPU, and cooler outside the case with the motherboard on a non-conductive surface like the motherboard box.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello! I am building a gaming PC for the first time, but I cannot for the life of me get it to boot, and I’m not sure if the system is making it to POST. I’ve already tried every troubleshooting avenue I’ve found, but nothing seems to resolve my problem.

The issue I’m having is: I press the I/O switch on the PSU, and there is immediately a series of metallic pops. A red LED on the backside of the motherboard flashes in unison with the pops, and the rear case fan occasionally twitches in time with the pops. The LED is not labeled or mentioned in the boards manual, nor is it near any port or component. After the pops and LED finish, the AIO fans will spin up for a second or two before stopping. No other lights come on, and my monitor doesn’t turn on either.

For reference, my part list is:
Intel i9-13900K
RTX 3060 Ti LHR
16 Gb DDR5 RAM (1 stick)
1 Tb M.2 SSD (Sabrent Rocket Q)
ASRock B760 Pro Rs motherboard
AIO CPU Cooler
Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 desktop kit

What could be causing this issue, and how can I fix it?
A "popping" sound could be caused by electrolytic capicitors failing on the power suppy, but there is usually an odor at the some time.
DaleH