Question System Assembled, Fans (Case + CPU) Powers On, But No Power to KB+M and Monitor, Won't Boot to BIOS

Mar 3, 2022
Hi everyone,

I was building a system for a friend's parents and after assembling everything and turning on the power, the case fans, CPU fans and even the GPU fans are spinning and lit up. However, the KB+M isn't lighting up (tested both on my laptop and they work with no problems), and nothing shows on my portable monitor that I'm using even after trying the HDMI port on both the GPU and mobo. I can't boot up to the BIOS at all. AFAIK everything is plugged into the right sockets and I at least know power is running through the system.

Here are the things I tried to see if it boots to the BIOS but to no avail:
  • Replaced mobo battery
  • Changed power supply with a replacement
  • Plugged KB+M into USB ports on mobo and then onto case USB ports
  • Removed CPU cooler, added more thermal paste, then placed it back on top of CPU (screwed it onto mobo snugly)
  • Used only one RAM stick and an instance without either of them (just to see if any warnings would pop up)
  • Unplugged all case fans, left CPU fan plugged into mobo
  • Unplugged GPU from mobo
  • Plugged the tower into my office monitors and keyboard
Keep in mind these are all brand new parts ordered from Amazon, these were not used on any of my prior builds or other builds for that matter.

Monitor:
Portable Monitor, ARZOPA 15.6 Inch 178°IPS HDR 1920X1080 Full HD Computer Display USB C Gaming Monitor Eye Care Screen with HDMI Type-C Dual Speaker

KB+M:
Redragon K582 SURARA RGB LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with 104 Keys-Linear and Quiet-Red Switches
Gaming Mouse Wired, Gaming Mice Breathing RGB LED Plug Play High-Precision Adjustable 7200 DPI, 7 Programmable Buttons, Ergonomic Mouse for PC Laptop

PC Specs (all from Amazon):
  • Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX Tower with Magnetic Design Dust Filter, Transparent Acrylic Side Panel, Adjustable I/O & Fully Ventilated Airflow, Black (MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00) \
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • ASRock AMD Ryzen AM4 Compatible with A320 Chip MicroATX Motherboard A320M-HDV R4.0
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
  • PNY CS2140 1TB M.2 NVMe Gen4 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - M280CS2140-1TB-RB
  • MAXSUN AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 ITX Computer PC Gaming Video Graphics Card GPU 128-Bit DirectX 12 PCI Express X16 3.0 DVI-D Dual Link, HDMI, DisplayPort
  • PCCOOLER 120mm Case Fan 3 Pack Magic Moon Series, PC-FX120 High Performance Cooling PC Fans - RGB Case Fans with Hydraulic Bearing - Low Noise Computer Fans for PC Case
  • Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W

Is there something going on here that I'm missing? Maybe some compatibility issue? I'm seriously confused and I'm scratching my head furiously at this. Thanks for the help!

nothing shows on my portable monitor that I'm using even after trying the HDMI port on both the GPU and mobo...

I can't boot up to the BIOS at all
how do you know that the system isn't booting if you have no signal to the display?
with no signal output you could very well be getting past the POST and into the BIOS but you wouldn't know.

can you determine what BIOS revision your board has come with?
it should be printed on the box or within included documentation?

logainofhades

Titan
Your board doesn't support that CPU, without a bios update. Probably running an older revision. Sadly that board doesn't have bios flashback, and can only be flashed with an older compatible CPU. Frankly, I would return it, and replace it with something like a Gigabyte B550m DS3H. Cheap board, and has bios flashback.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Changed power supply with a replacement

Was/is the replacement the same PSU as you have listed here?

Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White

Terrible PSU. Not even good enough for this mid-tier PC. That brick is only good as paper weight or doorstop.

Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. Due to that, never cheap out on PSU.

Here, i'd replace PSU, with far better quality one. E.g Seasonic Focus series, in 500W range. Or Corsair RM/ RMi/ RMx series, also in 500W range.

Keep in mind these are all brand new parts ordered from Amazon

DOA (Dead On Arrival) is a thing. And for that reason, we have warranty. Since if everything works out of the box just fine, for years to come, there wouldn't be any need for warranty.

• AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • ASRock AMD Ryzen AM4 Compatible with A320 Chip MicroATX Motherboard A320M-HDV R4.0

A320 chipset needs latest, beta BIOS, for it to be able to run Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.

Vermeer, Cezanne and Renoir CPUs are supported after updating the BIOS, using another CPU for that update.
Source, MoBo specs: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a320m-hdv r4.0/index.asp#Specification

So, easiest would be hauling the PC to any PC repair shop and pay a bit for them to update the BIOS for you. And while you're there, pick up new PSU as well.

Mar 3, 2022
Your board doesn't support that CPU, without a bios update. Probably running an older revision. Sadly that board doesn't have bios flashback, and can only be flashed with an older compatible CPU. Frankly, I would return it, and replace it with something like a Gigabyte B550m DS3H. Cheap board, and has bios flashback.

I'll give that mobo a try!

TRENDING THREADS