[SOLVED] System Audio Changes When Certain Applications Are In A Focused State. - Windows 10

Kieran_GB

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Platform: Windows 10 Home Edition
Build: 19043
Issue: Audio changes to 50% when certain programs are brought into focus
PC type: Laptop (ASUS FX705DY)

My volume keeps going up/down to 50% when I go on certain programs, it resets to what it originally was after a few seconds of the program being "unfocused" (click on task bar or go to another program). I've disabled audio enhancements, communications are set to do nothing, Discord attenuation is disabled, I have tried reinstalling audio devices and updating drivers, as well as trying to update my OS. I have also disabled apps taking control of all audio devices through the sounds panel.
The volume changes regardless of the audio device type.

It would be appreciated even if you took a wild guess as to what the problem could be at this point. I have been scratching my head for over a week about it now.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Kieran_GB

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
I have just tried this, I am still having no joy. I think I will just try a full reinstall at this point, it's not ideal but it should work.

Kieran_GB

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
what programs?

i might be able to find something before you reinstall
The programs are somewhat random, it sets volume when I launch a couple games Apex Legends (Origin), but then reverts it after it's fully launched the game. It does it for the 3D editing software Blender (Steam version) and it also does it for Halo the master chief collection (also Steam). I've not experienced it on any other programs so far. I do have Armoury Crate installed on my laptop as it came with it and if I uninstalled it there would surely be a few things that just wouldn't quite work right, as I found out when doing a clean boot. I also have Realtek Audio Console, other than that I don't know what it could be.

Kieran_GB

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
it probably doesn't happen in safe mode

I can see it on other Asus laptops as well.

See here - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015070/

https://superuser.com/questions/1001945/how-do-i-disable-hidden-volume-changes-on-windows-10 maybe answers here help?
Unfortunately I have already tried these solutions before I posted this thread, thank you though, I will choose that as the answer as it will help other people, even though it does not help with my particular problem.

Kieran_GB

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Posting 2 months later as the issue has been found now. It turns out there are "profiles" in the Armoury Crate app that comes with (and "manages") most AMD "gaming" laptops, for me it was as simple as going to Scenario Profiles, going through each of my profiles, and clicking the Custom configurations button (checkbox with a line at the top right), then completely removing the volume option. For some reason, some genius thought it'd be a good idea to set system volume, not application volume.

Reactions: Colif