System audio is playing through my microphone

FictionPC

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
So, basically what my problem is that when I talk to someone on Skype, or try to use my headset microphone (Steelseries Siberia v2) in general, it rather than just picking up my voice, it plays whatever I'm listening to though the microphone.

I've been searching for a solution for all night and couldn't find one. So far, I've fiddled around with the system sound, used different ports, and updated my drivers. But so far, nothing has worked. But the weirdest part is that this is the first time this has happened to me and I've had this headset for over a year now, and nothing has gone wrong with it.

If you'd like to know what my system is: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03499587&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

KC2049

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
You could try adjusting your microphone sensitivity and get it to a level that you can accomplish what you want. I have had this happen to me when I use VoIP and adjusting my mic sensitivity helped. You can do this by right clicking your speaker icon in the bottom right corner and going to recording devices. Click the device you are using then click properties and it should be under the Levels tab. You can also adjust it in the Realtek HD Audio Manager and it can be found in the Control Panel.

FictionPC

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Well adjusting the levels won't doing anything as it's not because of leaking, for some reason, likely a software error or something like that, my computer is sending the audio to play through both the headphones portion of the headset, and the microphone portion. The microphone doesn't pick up ANY sound that I make, it only plays my system audio.

KC2049

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
So are you saying that even if your microphone is muted the other party can still hear the audio that is playing on your machine?

What do you have listed under the recording devices?

If you see something like Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable you may try disabling that.

You could also make sure Stereo Mix is turned off.

FictionPC

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
If I mute using the mute switch on the headset, audio still plays through the microphone, but if I mute the microphone through the system sounds, then nothing is played through the microphone, and that includes both the audio playing on my machine and my own voice.

KC2049

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2015
Have you downloaded the latest drivers for that headset? There are some available on SteelSeries download page for the headset that you have. It sounds like the computer is not recognizing what to do with that switch on the headset.

FictionPC

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
The headset that I have is that I have is the non-usb version so it doesn't have any drivers that I need.