[SOLVED] System balance

archv

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018
I have a simple question. I have a budget of $2000 for a new system. As was pointed out in another thread I made here, I can get a system with a 2080 Ti, if I "skimp" a bit on the other parts. Would that be worth it? Or would it be better to get a 2080 Super, then allocate the saved money to making other components better... better motherboard, better/more memory, and possibly even a step up in CPU, or an extra/ better SSD.

The machine will be primarily game-centric (with a Valve Index). Any productivity I do is fine on my current setup, so anything better will be fine as well. So I don't need a Ryzen 3900X just for the core count for example.

Thoughts?

Solution
Depends on the advice from this other thread you mention. There is no 'correct way' to build a PC, but a way to build one for your needs. One thing to not skimp on is the PSU; worst thing to try and save money on because it can potentially cause real damage.

Personally think some SSD comparisons are rather academic for most users, and for every day usage we'll unlikely see the benefits of tremendously fast SSDs.
Depends on the advice from this other thread you mention. There is no 'correct way' to build a PC, but a way to build one for your needs. One thing to not skimp on is the PSU; worst thing to try and save money on because it can potentially cause real damage.

Personally think some SSD comparisons are rather academic for most users, and for every day usage we'll unlikely see the benefits of tremendously fast SSDs.

Solution

archv

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018
Currently running 3440x1440 Ultrawide @ 100 Hz. I think the Valve Index is the more demanding component in that regard, however.

The 2080 Ti build would have a i7 9700k, an Asus Z390=A, 16 gig of RAM, and a 1TB NVME SSD, a cheap $70 case and a 750w PSU.

Stepping down to a 2080 Super would allow me to upgrade some of those things. Granted they aren't TERRIBLE, but they aren't awesome either.

archv

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018

I agree with both of these. Is PowerSpec a known / decent power supply brand?

I do want a decent SSD for the boot drive (one of the little PCIe ones)... but for bulk storage I still have some mechanical drives in my current machine, which I wouldn't mind replacing with basic SATA SSDs.

archv

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018
you could shave something off the PSU, 650W will be fine. Drop to 512GB SSD, Does that mean you can get the ti over the super? Concerned that for VR the ti will be a lot better, the 9700k should be able to keep it busy.

What I mentioned above already fits within the $2000 scope, the 1TB SSD and the bigger power supply.

Unless we are talking about getting better quality over the quantity. For example, the 1 TB SSD is the Inland brand... If I went down to 500G I could probably get a Samsung 970 Evo or something. I'm not sure I'd notice the performance difference between those.

I'm glad you think the 9700k will be plenty. I've also considered some of the Ryzen stuff, but keep seeing they aren't as straight up frame rate as the 9700k.