Question System becomes unstable and freezes when all 4 drives are connected. When any 3 are connected, it is fine.

Sep 14, 2020
I have a system on a gigabyte B450M DS3H, and I have 3 sata hard drives and 1 sata ssd. I recently added the SSD just for games.

When all 4 are connected, at a random time one of the drives will crash and the computer will freeze up. When trying to reboot it, it freezes on the post screen 9/10 times.

I've tried troubleshooting which drive is causing it, but a combination of any 3 drives works fine. I'm at a loss.

edit:

CPU: Ryzen 1600

GPU: 1060

PSU: Logisys PS480A12BK 480W. It's over 10 years old 😬 but very light use over most of that time (a few hours of web browsing a week) My other PSU had issues a while back, but this one was working in another PC so I switched it in months ago .

HD 1 (boot drive): Western Digital WD20EZRZ 2TB (~75% full).

HD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB (~80% full) (this was the last one to crash—opening it in explorer would freeze explorer, but the other drives were accessible)

HD 3: Toshiba HDD2E61 500GB 7200RPM (>90% full) (This one is powered by a molex-to-sata power adapter, but has not been the one crashing afaik)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2TB (~5% full)

Last edited: