Question System blue-screened and now it will not boot ?

Jun 5, 2023
Hello,

Was playing Diablo 4 tonight and my system abruptly blue screened and I saw "Windows is restarting your PC" blue screen for about a second before the computer went into a restart. Once it tried to restart, none of my peripherals were getting power (keyboard,mice,monitors not getting any signal (still had power from being plugged into wall)).

After about a minute of nothing but the pc itself being on but nothing on the screens I went and hard shut it down via power button on case. Waited a minute or so and turned it back on. It booted like normal and got to my desktop and pc froze immediately. Had to force shut down again via power button. Last time booting it I turned it on, everything in the case comes on, fans, GPU, lights, etc. but no output to monitor and nothing to keyboard/mouse and after about 30 seconds of this I am getting a repeating short beep from the MOBO I believe. After about 15 beeps I turned the pc off but it was not a long/short combo but rather a repeating beep of same length/tone.

Any ideas what could have happened? I will note I have had the pc up and running for several months with no issues whatsoever till now. Any help or troubleshooting advice would be helpful.

Will also note I have been monitoring both CPU and GPU temps the past few days as I usually do with any new game and temps have been normal.

Specs are below:
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Intel i9 12900k
Nvidia 4070 TI
WD Black 2TB NVME
Corsair RMX 850x ATX 850w PSU
GSkill Trident Z5 RGB 2x16gb DDR5 6000
Deepcool LS720 Liquid cooler

Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Any ideas what could have happened?
Hardware failure.

I will note I have had the pc up and running for several months with no issues whatsoever till now.
There is a reason why hardware has warranty.

Any help or troubleshooting advice would be helpful.
Take out your GPU, fully, and plug your monitor to MoBo. Look if you get an image on screen.
Post results with follow-up reply.

Reactions: Demon420
Apr 21, 2023
Try removing your gpu and ram but take only 1 out at a time andd checcck after each item taken out . This happend to me and it turn out to be the GPU had failed.

Jun 5, 2023
Hardware failure.

Take out your GPU, fully, and plug your monitor to MoBo. Look if you get an image on screen.
Thank you I will try that this morning and post follow-ups.

Jun 5, 2023
Hardware failure.

Hi,
Took out GPU and turned on after plugging monitor into MOBO. No picture showed up and after about a minute I got the repeating beeps. Only peripheral getting signal seems to be keyboard as mouse is not getting powered during boot process but keyboard is still lit up right now without having pc turned on. Force shutdown again via power button. Will swap out some RAM from old pc and try booting again.

Thanks,

Jun 5, 2023
Okay so I did not have extra DDR5 on hand to swap so I took one of my 2 current RAM sticks out and tried to boot the PC and it booted up to the BIOS where it says boot failure detected. Given 3 options, load optimized defaults then boot, load optimized defaults then reboot, or enter BIOS.
Does this indicate that one of my RAM sticks has gone bad and it may not be a vid card issue?
Thanks,

Jun 5, 2023
Yes. Exactly.
Thanks. Currently running Memtest on the stick of RAM that was able to get PC to boot on.
For more info, I reinstalled GPU and computer boot fine with just the one RAM stick. Will follow-up once done with Memtests. If that other stick is faulty is it possible computer will not boot when I reinstall just that one remaining stick not being tested?

Thanks,

Jun 5, 2023
There can be multiple reasons for your issue:
1. one ram module is faulty,
2. one ram slot is faulty,
3. Ram modules and slots are fine, but for some reason ram is failing to operate at XMP settings.
I have had this PC once or twice since built give me a notification that the RAM settings have been reverted back to default after turning XMP on and adjusting clock from 4800 to 6000 as advertised. Does this lead you anywhere in your analysis? Still running memtest currently.

Thanks

TwistedFury

Distinguished
Hello Bem,

I noticed that you stated you hear beeping in the original post. What is the exact pattern for the beeping? This is a POST beep code which can often tell you the exact cause of the problem.

Jun 5, 2023
Hello Bem,

I noticed that you stated you hear beeping in the original post. What is the exact pattern for the beeping? This is a POST beep code which can often tell you the exact cause of the problem.
Hey fury,

No real pattern to the code when it was beeping from not booting. Was just repetitive short beeps. Beep-pause-beep, etc. Would do this indefinitely until I force turned the machine off. Just finished memtest with only 1 stick in and first stick passed. Running second ram stick now. Took vid card out initially and left ram in, plugged monitor into mobo and pc through same beeps after about a minute of starting up with no picture. Took second ram stick out and tried to boot and it did with only 1 stick in. Reinstalled GPU and left 1 stick of ram in and am doing memtest now. So weird as the pc has been running really well since built. Did have a few times however where pc would shut off and tell me ram settings have been reverted to defaults. I always thought nothing of it and would just turn XMP back on and machine would work again.

Thanks

Jun 5, 2023
Hey fury,

No real pattern to the code when it was beeping from not booting. Was just repetitive short beeps. Beep-pause-beep, etc. Would do this indefinitely until I force turned the machine off. Just finished memtest with only 1 stick in and first stick passed. Running second ram stick now. Took vid card out initially and left ram in, plugged monitor into mobo and pc through same beeps after about a minute of starting up with no picture. Took second ram stick out and tried to boot and it did with only 1 stick in. Reinstalled GPU and left 1 stick of ram in and am doing memtest now. So weird as the pc has been running really well since built. Did have a few times however where pc would shut off and tell me ram settings have been reverted to defaults. I always thought nothing of it and would just turn XMP back on and machine would work again.

Thanks
Update: took out first ram stick that passed memtest and put in second RAM stick in same slot as first. Went to boot and nothing again with the second stick only installed. Installed in same slot as ram stick 1. Everything inside case turns on but no output to monitor or mouse which was exact as original issue. Should I remove GPU and try again with just this one RAM stick or is it safe to say that this RAM stick may just be faulty? Can’t get pc to boot in order to run memtest on the second stick.

Thanks

Jun 5, 2023
Also noticed when second stick of ram was in the mobo indicator light would alternate between the CPU and DRAM bulbs. Just took out that second stick and restart pc, no motherboard indicator light now which according to mobo manual you would only see lights if indicated hardware not working properly. Seems like has to be the second RAM stick but is there any way to even confirm this? Or am I at stage of contacting manufacturer for replacements? What additional troubleshooting should be done? Possibly something with BIOS?

Thank you for all the help

Jun 5, 2023
Make sure XMP is disabled.
XMP is disabled. Below are settings from BIOS.

DDR5 Auto Booster- Auto
DDR5 XMP Booster- disabled
XMP Profile- disabled
System Memory Multiplier- Auto 4800

I was under the impression these sticks should be able to run at 6000 as well as advertised for XMP. Still only have the one working stick installed right now.

Thanks,

Jun 5, 2023
Update:

Went and got a new 2x16gb pair of some Corsair Vengeance 5600 and put it in the build. PC booted as normal. Wondering if safe to put these in XMP like advertised or if should just keep it stock clocks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I was under the impression these sticks should be able to run at 6000 as well as advertised for XMP.
"Should" is not a guarantee.

RAM has to work at JEDEC speeds (4800 Mhz, non-XMP). XMP as such, is RAM OC. But since manual RAM OC is quite tedious task, RAM manufacturers have made it easy for us, by giving us RAM OC profiles, known as XMP. Still, there is no guarantee that RAM has to work at XMP speeds. Sometimes, the combination of RAM and MoBo is such, where it just doesn't work at XMP.

Went and got a new 2x16gb pair of some Corsair Vengeance 5600 and put it in the build. PC booted as normal. Wondering if safe to put these in XMP like advertised or if should just keep it stock clocks.
Sure, you can try the XMP. If XMP won't hold, RAM reverts back to JEDEC default.

Also noticed when second stick of ram was in the mobo indicator light would alternate between the CPU and DRAM bulbs. Just took out that second stick and restart pc, no motherboard indicator light now which according to mobo manual you would only see lights if indicated hardware not working properly. Seems like has to be the second RAM stick but is there any way to even confirm this?

Here, it is unknown if you have 1 bad RAM stick or two sticks doesn't want to work together anymore. This can be found out by testing, but it will be tedious.

I suggest marking two sticks individually (e.g with sticky note) so you know which is which; afterwards start the testing, which is:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image
DIMM 1 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.
Then, take the 2nd stick and again:
DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

While this testing is very tedious :mmmfff:, it's only way to confirm RAM issues with MoBo on hardware level.
Ideally, you should see image in all 8 tests. If so, both RAM sticks, will work on their own, in all RAM slots of a MoBo.

Of course, with a RAM set of 2 and when both sticks doesn't want to work together, there would be another set of testing with 2 sticks at once, e.g:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image,

DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image,

DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image,

DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image.
it's pain in the ass to do. :gun: But it is also the only way to test out if 2 sticks of RAM will work together, by trying out all possible combinations.

Reactions: bem5152
Jun 5, 2023
"Should" is not a guarantee.

RAM has to work at JEDEC speeds (4800 Mhz, non-XMP). XMP as such, is RAM OC. But since manual RAM OC is quite tedious task, RAM manufacturers have made it easy for us, by giving us RAM OC profiles, known as XMP. Still, there is no guarantee that RAM has to work at XMP speeds. Sometimes, the combination of RAM and MoBo is such, where it just doesn't work at XMP.

Sure, you can try the XMP. If XMP won't hold, RAM reverts back to JEDEC default.

Here, it is unknown if you have 1 bad RAM stick or two sticks doesn't want to work together anymore. This can be found out by testing, but it will be tedious.

I suggest marking two sticks individually (e.g with sticky note) so you know which is which; afterwards start the testing, which is:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image
DIMM 1 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.
Then, take the 2nd stick and again:
DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

While this testing is very tedious :mmmfff:, it's only way to confirm RAM issues with MoBo on hardware level.
Ideally, you should see image in all 8 tests. If so, both RAM sticks, will work on their own, in all RAM slots of a MoBo.

Of course, with a RAM set of 2 and when both sticks doesn't want to work together, there would be another set of testing with 2 sticks at once, e.g:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image,

DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image,

DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image,

DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image.
it's pain in the ass to do. :gun: But it is also the only way to test out if 2 sticks of RAM will work together, by trying out all possible combinations.
This is great help I appreciate you putting this all in writing for me to follow! Seems like a huge pain in the a. Going to see if system will run smooth with the new sticks or if it will throw off an error soon. I am happy as it seems as if I have avoided a CPU issue (crosses fingers).

Reactions: Aeacus