[SOLVED] "System Board Regulator Failure" on Dell Precision T7500 ?

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
hi all, I have a dell precision t7500 which originally had no ram, storage, GPU, extra riser card and only had a Xeon x5667 installed.

I purchased 2x Xeon x5670's, a riser card, 48gb of 12600r memory, that's 12 4gb sticks of single rank x4 stuff.

I installed my own known working storage and graphics card into the system

When I attempted to power this system on, the power light would go amber and the numbers 1 and 2 were flashing on the front. This according to dell means
"System Board Regulator Failure"
I'm not quite sure what this actually means but I assume it means stuff like the ram or cpu on the motherboard do not work/maybe incompatible?

This continues to happen with different Samsung 12800r memory I have other than the hynix memory I purchased and I put the original x5667 back in which also has not solved this issue.

I tried taking all of my drives out, GPU and the riser card which also has not solved my issue but I believe it would show a different error if any of these are affected

I tested the hynix memory I bought for this system and all sticks work

I am completely stumped and have no idea what's really wrong, the power supply and motherboard have different error codes for their failures but could the psu/mb be the culprit ?

Thanks for reading all of this

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your GPU and storage?

This continues to happen with different Samsung 12800r memory I have other than the hynix memory I purchased
https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent.../Documents/dell_precision_t7500_specsheet.pdf
Might want to include a link to the rams you're using. The highest ram supported by the platform is DDR3-1333MHz.

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Make and model of your GPU and storage?

This continues to happen with different Samsung 12800r memory I have other than the hynix memory I purchased
https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent.../Documents/dell_precision_t7500_specsheet.pdf
Might want to include a link to the rams you're using. The highest ram supported by the platform is DDR3-1333MHz.

Storage was 2 generic 5400 rpm Seagate 500gb drives, and graphics card was a generic dell OEM quadro 4000.

I know these 12800r dimms are higher spec in terms of speed but it's been confirmed that these will still work as long as they are single/dual rank modules which do not exceed 16gb per dimm, which the Samsung dimm was a dual rank dimm and the hynix dimms were single rank dimms, both 4gb per dimm.

System board Regulator FailureA power failure has been detected in one of the onboard system board regulators. This could be caused by a failed system board component or by a plug-in device creating a short on a regulated power rail. (PS_ON asserted, PS_PWRGOOD asserted, SYS_PWRGOOD de-asserted)

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
System board Regulator FailureA power failure has been detected in one of the onboard system board regulators. This could be caused by a failed system board component or by a plug-in device creating a short on a regulated power rail. (PS_ON asserted, PS_PWRGOOD asserted, SYS_PWRGOOD de-asserted)
What does this mean? Is it the motherboard or a component?

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
it could be incompatible PSU
looking at PSUs for this system from dell and 5v/3.3 rails have pretty high amperage there (5v 22A/3.3v 30A with combined load 225watts max), theres a chance there your current PSU doesnt have enough juice on those rails
But the power supply in this system is an 1100w unit? I'm sure that's enough for even two cpus

What does this mean? Is it the motherboard or a component?
It probably refer to the onboard voltage regulator (so that the CPU can get 1,6V or whatever specific voltages it need to run).

But the power supply in this system is an 1100w unit? I'm sure that's enough for even two cpus
Unless this is a extreme crappy PSU, then it is probably not related to the error you see.

Solution

himynameis21223

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
It probably refer to the onboard voltage regulator (so that the CPU can get 1,6V or whatever specific voltages it need to run).

Unless this is a extreme crappy PSU, then it is probably not related to the error you see.

The powersupply is a dell OEM unit so It is probably a good unit considering it is for their server/workstation line of products

With this I can assume I need to replace the motherboard as the voltage regulator on the motherboard is I suppose what has been causing my error, thanks for helping me understand what the error means