Question System boot loop after 4 sec.

prototype18

Distinguished
Hello guy's!!

Long time since i've been here. Greeting to all of you .

I'm having a mystery with the an old system i found around at home and wanted to get it up and running.

Spec's
4x2Gb DDR2 800Mhz
1Tb Hdd
Q2C 6700
Asus Maximus Formula
Stock Cooler
Generic PSU 550W { I know you would think about this but this PSU can power up another motherboard (tested) together with a R9 285}

So after some tinkering i found out all goes to the CPU power plug.
The motherboard need's 8 pin where the PSU has only 4 pin . I took an molex adapter and tried with 4 and 8 pin but no luck .

So out of the blue i tried to power up without the CPU pin plugged and walaaaaaa the system booted(obv didnt post as no power was going to the CPU)

So i took out my TX 750W to test this mobo and the same thing happens. Changed CPU with a core 2 duo still no luck,
lastly tried with each ram stick at a time and no news.

Also there is no audible beep from the mobo speaker and sadly i dont have the LCD boot up from the motherboard.

Any clue ?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
did you perchance change the BIOS battery?
the speaker is connected and has not done a thing the whole time?
by connected not to the sound card, to the front panel connector?
assuming speaker is connected remove the RAM and try to boot. the system should protest to this by beeping frequently.
it has been my experience that if you cannot FORCE a beep code the motherboard is toast.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Maximus_Formula/e3374_maximus_formula.pdf
the manual on page 2-35 says that either the 4 pin or an 8 pin are needed. a 4 pin should boot the board.

prototype18

Distinguished
did you perchance change the BIOS battery?
the speaker is connected and has not done a thing the whole time?
by connected not to the sound card, to the front panel connector?
assuming speaker is connected remove the RAM and try to boot. the system should protest to this by beeping frequently.
it has been my experience that if you cannot FORCE a beep code the motherboard is toast.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Maximus_Formula/e3374_maximus_formula.pdf
the manual on page 2-35 says that either the 4 pin or an 8 pin are needed. a 4 pin should boot the board.
I will test it again tomorrow with a different PSU. Yeah i cahnged the BIOS battery.
Tbh maybe my speaker is fried. I'll test that as well.My speaker has 2 pin( like old ones and manual says 4 pin)

Edit:
Tested speaker it works. Tomorrow testing mobo again, see whats wrong with it. Just weird how the asus does try to boot with no CPU power PIN plugged in and restarts when the pin is plugged.

Last edited: