Question System booting then shutting off

Sep 3, 2019
Hi.
I'm in a dire situation. I just built my new pc. I followed the case manual and the motherboard manual and I'm sure I have everything properly wired. But when I turn it on. All the RGB and fans run for a split second and then the computer shuts off. One of the times I tried starting it, Everything got power (rgb on the ram lit up, back , front and top fan fans all started running, heatsink on the cpu lit up) for about 5 seconds, shut off, blinked once. And then turned off. Pleeeeaaasseee help me!!!! I spent about $2200 CND on this thing. :(

Disconnect everything not essential to power on/POST.....

All you NEED is 24 pin and 4/8 pin CPU PWR from PSU; disconnect modular cables from all drives, disconnect front panel USB headers (any of which when shorted can do bad things), dissiconnect SATA drive power and data cables from MB. Disconnect all stupid RGB fans/lights until we get a display/POST. Many mainboards like/demand to see some CPU FAN activity on that header...

If this was a new PSU, did you use modular cables that came with it? (In short, you cant use old cables from old PSU with new PSU, pinouts are different at PSU connection points...)

Drop down to one stick of RAM in required slot (2nd slot from CPU is normally safe)...

As you gave no specs at all other than it being a 'new rig costing 'x' amount' it would be difficult to say if you could also remove GPU or not, as we dont know if you have or need one...

Listing some sort of specs (in addition to RGB)would

Sep 3, 2019
Disconnect everything not essential to power on/POST.....

All you NEED is 24 pin and 4/8 pin CPU PWR from PSU; disconnect modular cables from all drives, disconnect front panel USB headers (any of which when shorted can do bad things), dissiconnect SATA drive power and data cables from MB. Disconnect all stupid RGB fans/lights until we get a display/POST. Many mainboards like/demand to see some CPU FAN activity on that header...

If this was a new PSU, did you use modular cables that came with it? (In short, you cant use old cables from old PSU with new PSU, pinouts are different at PSU connection points...)

Drop down to one stick of RAM in required slot (2nd slot from CPU is normally safe)...

As you gave no specs at all other than it being a 'new rig costing 'x' amount' it would be difficult to say if you could also remove GPU or not, as we dont know if you have or need one...

Listing some sort of specs (in addition to RGB)would
Hi thank you for the reply. I'll try disconnecting everything not essential when I get home, as I'm on night shift. As for PSU everything is brand new. I'm using the connectors that are attached to the psu
The 4x2 pin and the big 20 or 24 pin which ever it is. Another thing to note, is when I turn on the PSU via the switch on the back. The motherboard is lighting up with power. And idk if this rules out the ram, but when it fired up and ran for solid 5 seconds the ram lit up as it has rgb indicating it had power.
SPECS.
Intel i9-9900k cpu
Rtx 2060 super 8gb
Asus tuf z390-plus motherboard
3.5" 1tb exos hdd
512gb XPG m.2 nvme ssd
Master cooler ML240L AIO
XPG 8x2 GDDR4 3200MHZ RAM
Master cooler semi fanless 750w 80+ bronze PSU
All in an asus TUF gt501 case

Sep 3, 2019
Hi thank you for the reply. I'll try disconnecting everything not essential when I get home, as I'm on night shift. As for PSU everything is brand new. I'm using the connectors that are attached to the psu
The 4x2 pin and the big 20 or 24 pin which ever it is. Another thing to note, is when I turn on the PSU via the switch on the back. The motherboard is lighting up with power. And idk if this rules out the ram, but when it fired up and ran for solid 5 seconds the ram lit up as it has rgb indicating it had power.
SPECS.
Intel i9-9900k cpu
Rtx 2060 super 8gb
Asus tuf z390-plus motherboard
3.5" 1tb exos hdd
512gb XPG m.2 nvme ssd
Master cooler ML240L AIO
XPG 8x2 GDDR4 3200MHZ RAM
Master cooler semi fanless 750w 80+ bronze PSU
All in an asus TUF gt501 case
Update: I tried unplugging everything except cpu power (8 pin) and motherboard power(24 pin) and still the same thing. Also tried unplugging GPU, but to no avail. Dont know if I should have tried this. But I unplugged the cpu power as well and just had motherboard power and a fan to have an indicator if the pc turned on and it did the same flicker on then turns off immediately. I suspect it's a power distribution issue?

Last edited: