Question System boots, but no signal (strix b450-f ryzen 5 3600)

Jul 14, 2019
Hi
I just decided to buy some new parts for my pc, a new cpu, new ram and a new motherboard. When I start my system up, everything lights up normally, fans start spinning, led's are working etc, but I get no signal to my monitor and there is a yellow light on my motherboard, indicating that my ram is not working correctly. I tried moving my sticks around, and I also tried using only one stick, still no signal. I also tried with my 2 older sticks, that I am sure worked just a few hours ago, still the same thing happens. I am also sure that my gpu is not the problem, since it also worked in my last build, that I tested a few hours ago. What's weird is that my keyboard and mouse does not seem to be getting any power, since they dont light up like the usually do, they stay unlit and dead.

Could i be dealing with a dead motherboard? Is there any way that my ram is just straight up to slow, and that I need 3000mhz sticks?

rig:
Ryzen 5 3600
Rog strix b450-f
hyperx 2x8gb 2666mhz DDR4
Corsair cx550m
Msi gtx1080 8gb

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

Might sound unlikely but happens. Are you sure you're plugging the monitor into the GPU port and not motherboard?

Have you tried breadboarding? That's trying to POST with CPU, only one RAM and GPU outside the case on a non-conductive surface?

Jul 14, 2019
I'm very sure I'm plugging everything in correctly.
No, but I'll do it right now if you think it will fix anything. Do you think there is a short somewhere in my case?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If the BIOS was NOT updated to version 2301 with an older CPU plugged into that MB it will NOT work with a Ryzen 3600.
The ROG Strix B450-F needs to have BIOS version 2301 in order to recognize any 3000 series CPU.

So the question is did you update the BIOS Before you installed the 3600 CPU ?

Reactions: Satan-IR
Jul 14, 2019
No, I just got this motherboard out of the box, and though that I would atleast get into BIOS and update from there. Is there any way I could make this work?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Can I be 100% that this is the error?
Yes, it is absolutely the error.
That motherboard does NOT support 3000 series CPUs without a BIOS update to version 2301 (or the Buggy version 2406).
If the box does NOT have a Ryzen 3000 Ready sticker on it then it has an older BIOS version.
And as far as I know there aren't any Ryzen 3000 Ready versions of this motherboard available yet.

In addition to the other methods mentioned above for updating the BIOS: If you know anyone (friends, family, colleagues) that has a Ryzen CPU (2000/1000) then you could ask them to borrow it, so that you can update the BIOS to work with your Ryzen 3600.

Jul 14, 2019
Yes, good thing DMAN999 noticed that. I didn't check CPU support list and BIOS versions. By the looks of it you didn't either.

You need an older Ryzen to update the BIOS.
You need to contact AMD for a loaner CPU or buy (or borrow) a cheap older Ryzen CPU.
Or you might be able to pay a local shop to update the BIOS for you with a CPU they have on hand.

Do you think there is any way to make the update happen from a USB? I've been reading about flash updating bios, and my board has a feature called "ez flash 3"

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I can confirm that a pc using a ryzen 3000 processor with an asus b450 motherboard will stop at spinning the fans.

You might be able to find a local I.T. company that can do a bios update with an older processor, but I wouldn't count on any I.T. company having a ryzen cpu.

The official option is using AMD's rma process to rent a boot kit (takes a while). You could also try to find a friend that has an older ryzen cpu.

Jun 7, 2020
If the BIOS was NOT updated to version 2301 with an older CPU plugged into that MB it will NOT work with a Ryzen 3600.
The ROG Strix B450-F needs to have BIOS version 2301 in order to recognize any 3000 series CPU.

So the question is did you update the BIOS Before you installed the 3600 CPU ?
I upgraded from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 3600x with the same motherboard ( Asus Rog Strix B450-f Gaming) and it says ryzen 3000 desktop ready but when I put the new CPU in it doesn't boot. With the old CPU it boots just fine. I checked the bios version and it's v.3003 which i believe is the latest version at the moment. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks