Question System boots fine but won't restart

May 31, 2020
Hi all hope you are having a good day,

I haven't owned a pc for a good 10 years but recently fancied one to play a few games as I used to be into my gaming. So I built a system out if some parts I had lieing around. I have a ASRock h87 pro4 mobo with a 3ghz i5 2x 8gb PC1333 ram sticks and 2 150gb sata raptor hd. I'm guessing it's motherboard related although my pc knowledge is a good 10yrs out if date.

The system is running Windows 10 it boots fine runs fine but however if I have to reset if for whatever reason windows update etc, it will reset then it powers back up then gets stuck in a reset loop it starts for a second or two then cuts off. Continuously. If I flick switch to turn it off and then turn back on it boots fine, I can work around it but it's a pain in the backside.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be. I've looked for any obvious damage to pins taken everything out blew out with air and reseated. Reset CMOS and new battery I've tried 3 diff pci-E gfx cards. Cannot figure out why it's doing it. I would really like to stick with this system as it's by far the best out of the parts I have but I want to get it working right before I invest in a half decent gfx card for it any help is appreciated thank you for reading

Luke

My last ASRock build had the same problem. Updating the BIOS fixed it.

I was actually updating the BIOS for a totally unrelated reason but was pleasantly surprised to find that it fixed the boot problem as well.

Not saying it will work for you, but definitley worth a try don't you think?

May 31, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I had looked at the bios but it said on the ASRock website I was already running the latest version. I thought I would give it a go anyway seen as you suggested and it is now working fine. Thanks again for your time I can now search for a gfx card that will run that CnC remake for me 😁

Luke