Question System Boots slower with 64gb RAM than with 32

DudeBDR

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
So I have 64GB of corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz. before that I had 64GB of some really old crucial ballistix sport that went bad on me. (after 6 years though sooo) but i noticed that if I take two sticks out even with the old ballistix and run the system on 32gb it boots faster. everything else feels exactly the same, performance wise. but with 32gb of ram i can boot from the second i hear the POST to the time i am fully loaded on desktop is roughly 8 seconds on average. but with 64gb of ram its roughly 19 seconds on overage. this isnt really all that major of a problem. I'd just really like to know the cause.

i dont think the rest of my system really matters since its done it across 3 diff GPUs, 2 PSU's 3 CPU's and 2 MoBo's but here is my current set up
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
the ram mentioned above
corsair rm1000x 80+ Gold (2022 version)
MSI Ventus 3x OC RTX 3080 10GB
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming WiFi II
the CPU has an AIO Deepcool LT720
all fans have been replaced with 120mm fan from HYTE (8 fans)
Storage is a 500GB WD SN850 for OS
2TB WD SN850 for games and apps
8TB external WD myBook for movies TV shows and so on.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So I have 64GB of corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
really old crucial ballistix sport

CAS Latency or timings are?
Also, what the frequency for Crucial RAM was? (Timings too.)

Since when your Corsair RAM has higher CAS Latency, it will be slower than your Crucial RAM was.

Do note that higher frequency isn't always the best, especially when you have high CAS Latency to go along with it. To know which frequency and CAS Latency combos are most beneficial, lets put the frequency and latency into nanoseconds, with a formula of:
(cas latency/ram frequency) x 2000 = latency in nanoseconds

Few examples:
(22/3200) x 2000 = 13.75 nanoseconds
(20/3000) x 2000 = 13.33 nanoseconds
(16/2667) x 2000 = 11.998 nanoseconds
(14/2400) x 2000 = 11.667 nanoseconds
(18/3200) x 2000 = 11.25 nanoseconds
(10/1866) x 2000 = 10.71 nanoseconds <- what i'm currently running in my Haswell build
(15/3000) x 2000 = 10 nanoseconds <- what i'm currently running in my Skylake build

With this, slower frequency (2400 Mhz) but also smaller CAS Latency (CL14) RAM, is overall quicker, than higher frequency (3200 Mhz) and bigger CAS Latency (CL22) RAM.

DudeBDR

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
CAS Latency or timings are?
Also, what the frequency for Crucial RAM was? (Timings too.)

Since when your Corsair RAM has higher CAS Latency, it will be slower than your Crucial RAM was.

Do note that higher frequency isn't always the best, especially when you have high CAS Latency to go along with it. To know which frequency and CAS Latency combos are most beneficial, lets put the frequency and latency into nanoseconds, with a formula of:
(cas latency/ram frequency) x 2000 = latency in nanoseconds

Few examples:
(22/3200) x 2000 = 13.75 nanoseconds
(20/3000) x 2000 = 13.33 nanoseconds
(16/2667) x 2000 = 11.998 nanoseconds
(14/2400) x 2000 = 11.667 nanoseconds
(18/3200) x 2000 = 11.25 nanoseconds
(10/1866) x 2000 = 10.71 nanoseconds <- what i'm currently running in my Haswell build
(15/3000) x 2000 = 10 nanoseconds <- what i'm currently running in my Skylake build

With this, slower frequency (2400 Mhz) but also smaller CAS Latency (CL14) RAM, is overall quicker, than higher frequency (3200 Mhz) and bigger CAS Latency (CL22) RAM.
both were/are 3200Mhz, im not sure about the CAS on the Crucial but i think it was C18 and the Corsair is C16. I have/had them on the proper XMP profile in the BIOS (cant remember if its XMP1 or XMP2 right off the top of my head.)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
cant remember if its XMP1 or XMP2 right off the top of my head.

XMP1 or XMP2 are just names of the profiles and matter 0. What matters, are the timings themselves.

4x RAM sticks, over 2x sticks, will put higher load on MoBo's memory controller and how well your MoBo can cope with that, depends on a MoBo. But high-end MoBo has 0 issues running 4x RAM sticks. On the contrary, running 4x RAM sticks makes the RAM faster in terms of response time, e.g 4x 4GB vs 2x 8GB.

Now, what also makes a diff is the OEM of RAM, since not all RAM is created equal. Corsair LPX is the cheapest/weakest RAM offered by Corsair. Sure, it's popular but it is also cheap, compared to e.g Corsair Dominator, Kingston HyperX Predator or G.Skill Trident Z.

Moreover, you have AMD build and Ryzen chips are capricious over RAM. So, it may not only be because of the cheap-ish Corsair RAM you use, but your capricious CPU as well.

Reactions: DudeBDR
run the system on 32gb it boots faster. everything else feels exactly the same, performance wise. but with 32gb of ram i can boot from the second i hear the POST to the time i am fully loaded on desktop is roughly 8 seconds on average. but with 64gb of ram its roughly 19 seconds on overage. this isnt really all that major of a problem. I'd just really like to know the cause.
fast startup would be the answer, hiberfile.sys on 32GB ram takes 12.7GB on drive, with 64GB ram its 25.4GB
when you added ram, windows has to alocate more space on your drive and also reload data from drive back to ram
next boot (soft reboot) should be faster

DudeBDR

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
XMP1 or XMP2 are just names of the profiles and matter 0. What matters, are the timings themselves.

4x RAM sticks, over 2x sticks, will put higher load on MoBo's memory controller and how well your MoBo can cope with that, depends on a MoBo. But high-end MoBo has 0 issues running 4x RAM sticks. On the contrary, running 4x RAM sticks makes the RAM faster in terms of response time, e.g 4x 4GB vs 2x 8GB.

Now, what also makes a diff is the OEM of RAM, since not all RAM is created equal. Corsair LPX is the cheapest/weakest RAM offered by Corsair. Sure, it's popular but it is also cheap, compared to e.g Corsair Dominator, Kingston HyperX Predator or G.Skill Trident Z.

Moreover, you have AMD build and Ryzen chips are capricious over RAM. So, it may not only be because of the cheap-ish Corsair RAM you use, but your capricious CPU as well.
yeah, and like i said, the rest of the system runs perfect and i notice no difference in real time performance. I was just curious as to WHY it booted slower with more RAM when literally everything else is just as fast as anything.

On the same note... I HAD planned to get G.Skill RAM but the B&H Photo site i ordered from didn't have it at the time in the 4x16GB and to be 100% clear on this, I don't need 64GB of ram not even close. The most my PC gets is playing games like Apex Legends, Satisfactory or Resident evil 4 Remake.
I swapped from INTEL to AMD a few years back, I tend to like the AMD better for what I do. I don't really think one is the defacto better choice than the other in all uses though.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
10 and 11. on the previous system with the crucial it was 10 and 11 but the Corsair has only been on 11.

Go into the new security settings I think where it says Core Isolation and then Memory Integrity and turn the slider for the memory setting to "off" and see if you don't get better boot performance.

Disclaimer- turning off security settings 'may' cause you to be at more risk for boogey men and such. - Disclaimer