• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

System boots up on its on while powered off.

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I just finished a new build.

i7-6700k
Asus Z170 Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 16gb)
Asus GTX 1080 Strix
Corsair HX850i
Corsair H75 cooler
Samsung 850 1TB SSD

Lately I've noticed that my pc has been on in the mornings when I get up, when Im sure I shut it down. This time, I made sure to not use the button (which I have set for shutdown) but instead went into the windows command and shut it down. low and behold, next morning, it's up and running.

Any ideas? I know for sure it is not in sleep mode....

TDice

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Might have a bad Power Button, it could be getting stuck. What OS do you have? I use windows 7 and I have something similar happening to me. When i put some computer to sleep, it will turn on after a while then off and so on. I don't know exactly why this is happening but i am looking into it.

Have you gotten a blue screen of death? it could also be a corrupted boot partition or something along the lines of that if you had gotten a bcod.

Luminary

Admirable
Nov 29, 2015
Another possibility (though a long shot): Do you have the 'Wake on LAN' feature enabled? If so it would turn your PC on if it was pinged by certain types of network traffic. You can do a quick search for 'Wake on Lan + your operating system' to find where to check.

Not all NIC's have the feature, and it is turned off by default on Windows installations, so as I said it's probably unlikely you've set Wake on Lan but it's a possibility to check off just in case you have.

ASK THE COMMUNITY