System boots up on its on while powered off.

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I just finished a new build.

i7-6700k
Asus Z170 Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 16gb)
Asus GTX 1080 Strix
Corsair HX850i
Corsair H75 cooler
Samsung 850 1TB SSD

Lately I've noticed that my pc has been on in the mornings when I get up, when Im sure I shut it down. This time, I made sure to not use the button (which I have set for shutdown) but instead went into the windows command and shut it down. low and behold, next morning, it's up and running.

Any ideas? I know for sure it is not in sleep mode....

TDice

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Might have a bad Power Button, it could be getting stuck. What OS do you have? I use windows 7 and I have something similar happening to me. When i put some computer to sleep, it will turn on after a while then off and so on. I don't know exactly why this is happening but i am looking into it.

Have you gotten a blue screen of death? it could also be a corrupted boot partition or something along the lines of that if you had gotten a bcod.

Luminary

Admirable
Another possibility (though a long shot): Do you have the 'Wake on LAN' feature enabled? If so it would turn your PC on if it was pinged by certain types of network traffic. You can do a quick search for 'Wake on Lan + your operating system' to find where to check.

Not all NIC's have the feature, and it is turned off by default on Windows installations, so as I said it's probably unlikely you've set Wake on Lan but it's a possibility to check off just in case you have.