[SOLVED] System build comparison of Intel Core i9-12900KJ 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor and AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I'm doing some research on a new workstation and the what I can get within my budget of $4K and $5K. I've read a lot of good reviews about the AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper and its multi-core and threading abilities. I don't have extensive knowledge about hardware and all the differences with processors, memory, etc., but from what I've read the AMD ThreadRipper seems to outperform comparable Intel processors. To provide some basic details of how I'd be using the workstation, I do software development and audio recording and editing. The primary applications being used are MS Visual Studio Professional, Visual Studio Code, SQL Server, Eclipse, ANT, Data loader, MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Power Point), Notepad++, Adobe Acrobat Professional and audio recording and editing software like Audacity. There are a few other apps that I use that are open source and free downloads. I do some minor photo editing with Photoshop, but nothing extensive. One issue that I've encountered with my current Dell Precision workstation that I've had for many years is that I commonly work with hundreds of thousands of records in Excel with sometimes over 100 columns and I routinely encounter very slow performance and the system locking up.

From the information I've found so far, it is my understanding that in order to get the huge multi core performance of the ThreadRipper it would go into several thousand dollars for the processor alone like the ThreadRipper 3970X. The mid range ThreadRipper processors seem to be on par with Intel or Intel out performs in the low to mid-range price range. I was looking at the Intel Core i9-12900KF 3.2 GHz 16-Core and it appears to be on par with the midrange ThreadRippers and performs better on single thread. Most of the software listed above is bound by single thread I believe. So, would this Intel processor outperform and be a better choice than a midrange threadripper? Or, is a ThreadRipper the better option? If so, what midrange ThreadRipper would be comparable?

To get a general idea of the components that I've spec'd here is a list:

Intel Core i9-12900KF 3.2 GHz 16-Core\
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ARCTIC Intel LGA1700 Upgrade Kit - For Liquid Freezerr II Series
Gigabyte Z690 AERO G DDR4 ATX LGA 1700 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PNY NVIDIA T400 Graphic Card - 2 GB GDDR6 - Low-Profile - 64 bit Bus Width - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - Mini DisplayPort
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
NZXT C 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Is this a good configutration for the type of work I'm doing? Would an AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper build be a better choice? If so, what specific specs would be recommended? Or, if the above specs are good, the current cost is about $2,200. I have some room for upgrades if there is any components that would be recommended to upgrade.

Solution
With a minimal graphics card, you obviously don't care about GPU processing in this workstation.
An EQUIVALENT Threadripper would be the lowest end model (3960X -- 24 cores) or the 3955WX (16 cores).
The 3955WX could be interesting to you -- https://www.amd.com/en/product/10186 because it has 8 channel memory controller. That is 4X the memory bandwidth of the i9.
NewEgg has the 3955WX for around $1200 compared to $620 for the Intel. To maximize performance you would completely change your RAM. You would get 8 x 16GB ECC RAM
The WRX8 motherboard required for the 3955WX isn't cheap -- For example - https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-ws-wrx80e-sage-se-wifi/p/N82E16813119391
So $2K of your budget is CPU and...

kanewolf

Titan
With a minimal graphics card, you obviously don't care about GPU processing in this workstation.
An EQUIVALENT Threadripper would be the lowest end model (3960X -- 24 cores) or the 3955WX (16 cores).
The 3955WX could be interesting to you -- https://www.amd.com/en/product/10186 because it has 8 channel memory controller. That is 4X the memory bandwidth of the i9.
NewEgg has the 3955WX for around $1200 compared to $620 for the Intel. To maximize performance you would completely change your RAM. You would get 8 x 16GB ECC RAM
The WRX8 motherboard required for the 3955WX isn't cheap -- For example - https://www.newegg.com/asus-pro-ws-wrx80e-sage-se-wifi/p/N82E16813119391
So $2K of your budget is CPU and motherboard.
That is the other thing. You don't get ECC with the i9. You might want to look at a Xeon W CPUs -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/125035/intel-xeon-w-processor.html They are more similar to the AMD hardware than the i9 is.
More similar to your i9 might be the new AMD 5800X3D -- https://www.amd.com/en/product/11576 This had an additional large cache on the CPU, that could help overcome the more limited dual channel memory interface that desktop CPUs have.

Solution

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Thanks for your reply and the feedback. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the different hardware components so my apologies for any novice questions. I'm just trying to get the right workstation for my needs that falls within my budget.

I was trying to do a new configuration on PCPartPicker, but it I was unable to find the motherboard and the 3955JX ThreadRipper. I did find them on Amazon.

What would be the correct memory that would be compatible? You indicated 8 X166 ECC RAM? Would the following memory be compatible?

NEMIX RAM 128GB 8x16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 1Rx4 ECC Registered Memory

If I reconfigured to the following specs would this all be compatible for the system:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX 16-core, 32-thread desktop processor
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI sWRX8 AMD WRX80 SATA 6Gb/s Extended ATX AMD Motherboard
PNY NVIDIA T400 Graphic Card - 2 GB GDDR6 - Low-Profile - 64 bit Bus Width - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - Mini DisplayPort

Would anything need to change with the above configuration? Would this provide much better performance than the original specs with the Intel i9 that I had configured? Thanks again.

I'm doing some research on a new workstation and the what I can get within my budget of $4K and $5K. I've read a lot of good reviews about the AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper and its multi-core and threading abilities. I don't have extensive knowledge about hardware and all the differences with processors, memory, etc., but from what I've read the AMD ThreadRipper seems to outperform comparable Intel processors. To provide some basic details of how I'd be using the workstation, I do software development and audio recording and editing. The primary applications being used are MS Visual Studio Professional, Visual Studio Code, SQL Server, Eclipse, ANT, Data loader, MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Power Point), Notepad++, Adobe Acrobat Professional and audio recording and editing software like Audacity. There are a few other apps that I use that are open source and free downloads. I do some minor photo editing with Photoshop, but nothing extensive. One issue that I've encountered with my current Dell Precision workstation that I've had for many years is that I commonly work with hundreds of thousands of records in Excel with sometimes over 100 columns and I routinely encounter very slow performance and the system locking up.

From the information I've found so far, it is my understanding that in order to get the huge multi core performance of the ThreadRipper it would go into several thousand dollars for the processor alone like the ThreadRipper 3970X. The mid range ThreadRipper processors seem to be on par with Intel or Intel out performs in the low to mid-range price range. I was looking at the Intel Core i9-12900KF 3.2 GHz 16-Core and it appears to be on par with the midrange ThreadRippers and performs better on single thread. Most of the software listed above is bound by single thread I believe. So, would this Intel processor outperform and be a better choice than a midrange threadripper? Or, is a ThreadRipper the better option? If so, what midrange ThreadRipper would be comparable?

To get a general idea of the components that I've spec'd here is a list:

Is this a good configuration for the type of work I'm doing? Would an AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper build be a better choice? If so, what specific specs would be recommended? Or, if the above specs are good, the current cost is about $2,200. I have some room for upgrades if there is any components that would be recommended to upgrade.
The Threadripper line hasn't been refreshed for a little while so it's using a slightly older architecture (Zen 2) , because of this the newer consumer chips like the 12900K and 5950X (Zen 3) aren't miles behind the 24 core 3960X. It sounds like new ones are coming out in March so if you decided to go that route you might want to wait.

From what you describe though, I question whether you really need Threadripper or ECC RAM. Visual Studio will use multiple cores but not amazingly well. SQL Server can use lots of cores, particularly if you have a lot of concurrent operations. The only important Office app performance wise is Excel, that will actually make quite good use of lots of cores for things like formula's and functions. Though it does depend on what your doing. I couldn't comment on the audio stuff with Audacity, it's not a workload I'm familiar with.

I would have thought a high end rig with Core i9 12900K or Ryzen 9 5950X would probably suit you well and save you a lot of money. I know you say it's a bit old now, but may I ask what system spec you are currently using for the above?

In terms of the build you've specified, it's all very solid components, if you want RGB lights, the Freezer II that has them is only slightly more. If there is any possibility you might want to do GPU heavy work in the future I would get more than a 750W PSU.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your reply and the feedback. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the different hardware components so my apologies for any novice questions. I'm just trying to get the right workstation for my needs that falls within my budget.

I was trying to do a new configuration on PCPartPicker, but it I was unable to find the motherboard and the 3955JX ThreadRipper. I did find them on Amazon.

What would be the correct memory that would be compatible? You indicated 8 X166 ECC RAM? Would the following memory be compatible?

If I reconfigured to the following specs would this all be compatible for the system:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX 16-core, 32-thread desktop processor
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI sWRX8 AMD WRX80 SATA 6Gb/s Extended ATX AMD Motherboard

Would anything need to change with the above configuration? Would this provide much better performance than the original specs with the Intel i9 that I had configured? Thanks again.
Threadripper requires specific coolers. I don't know if that 420 is compatible. You definitely wouldn't use the LGA1700 kit.
AMD has recommendations -- https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

After further thought, I don't know that I can, with a good conscience, recommend a CPU with the power requirements of that one to a relatively novice builder.

Your original use case of Excel is not a high thread (more cores) problem. It is a memory and clock speed problem.
I am going to make an alternate recommendation --
Xeon W-2245 -- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...eon-w2245-processor-16-5m-cache-3-90-ghz.html
It is fewer faster cores (8 cores/ 16 threads) it does have 4 channel memory
The W2245 uses a C442 motherboard like this -- https://www.newegg.com/asus-ws-c422...14-nm-cpu-supports-intel-tu/p/N82E16813119139
NewEgg has the CPU also -- https://www.newegg.com/intel-xeon-w-2245-lga-2066/p/N82E16819118215
RAM would be something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/p/1X5-003Y-003V2 (2933 ECC Registered)
I am not a fan of AIO radiator coolers. I would get "big air" like this -- https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001H5

Reactions: Nighthawk117

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Thanks again for the recommendations. I was trying put together a new configuration based on all the feedback and this is what I have come up with. Are all these components compatible together? I know from your replies that the CPU, Motherboard and RAM are all compatible, but want to make sure about the cooling components, hard drive selected, the case and graphics cards. As a note, the reason I selected that particular GPU is because I have three widescreen Dell monitors that use mini display port inputs and I wanted to get a card that uses the same. I'm not opposed to upgrading the GPU as long as it supports the mini display ports that my monitors are using. Does the Noctua NH-D15 a cooler that sits on top of the CPU need any kit for it to attach? Or, does it come with the necessary parts to be attached?

I have built one PC in the past. It was many years ago and it worked well. It was a more entry level PC build and not a workstation like I'm trying to configure. So, I have some limited experience with a simple build.

Here are the specs based on the feedback. If there is anything incompatible or something I should change/add, please let me know. Thanks.

Intel Xeon W-2245 Cascade Lake 3.9 GHz 16.5 MB L3 Cache LGA 2066 155W CD8069504393801 Server Processor
ASUS WS C422 SAGE/10G CEB Server Motherboard Socket 2066 Intel C422
128GB 4x32GB DDR4-2933 PC4-23400 2Rx4 ECC Registered Memory
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Dual-Tower CPU cooler (140mm, Black)
PNY NVIDIA T400 Graphic Card - 2 GB GDDR6 - Low-Profile - 64 bit Bus Width - PCI Express

The Noctua NH-D15 supports LGA 2066 out of the box. My only question is the choice of CPU, in my mind you would be much better off with the 12900K as it's much more powerful (about double). All your components look fine to me, not 110% on the PSU, its not a bad one but for a premium build I'd probably go for a little more. A Corsair RM850x for example, perhaps the others may have some thoughts on this.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks again for the recommendations. I was trying put together a new configuration based on all the feedback and this is what I have come up with. Are all these components compatible together? I know from your replies that the CPU, Motherboard and RAM are all compatible, but want to make sure about the cooling components, hard drive selected, the case and graphics cards. As a note, the reason I selected that particular GPU is because I have three widescreen Dell monitors that use mini display port inputs and I wanted to get a card that uses the same. I'm not opposed to upgrading the GPU as long as it supports the mini display ports that my monitors are using. Does the Noctua NH-D15 a cooler that sits on top of the CPU need any kit for it to attach? Or, does it come with the necessary parts to be attached?

I have built one PC in the past. It was many years ago and it worked well. It was a more entry level PC build and not a workstation like I'm trying to configure. So, I have some limited experience with a simple build.

Here are the specs based on the feedback. If there is anything incompatible or something I should change/add, please let me know. Thanks.

Intel Xeon W-2245 Cascade Lake 3.9 GHz 16.5 MB L3 Cache LGA 2066 155W CD8069504393801 Server Processor
ASUS WS C422 SAGE/10G CEB Server Motherboard Socket 2066 Intel C422
128GB 4x32GB DDR4-2933 PC4-23400 2Rx4 ECC Registered Memory
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black, Dual-Tower CPU cooler (140mm, Black)
PNY NVIDIA T400 Graphic Card - 2 GB GDDR6 - Low-Profile - 64 bit Bus Width - PCI Express
I think that will be OK.

I think the xeon w-2245 would be a mistake.
It is deficient in single thread performance.
Such processors and the threadrippers are only better when ALL of the many threads can be concurrently utilized.
Look up the passmark performance numbers of the processors you are considering.
For example, the W-2245 has 16 processing threads and a rating of 19486. That is when all 16 threads are 100% utilized. Of more importance to you is the single thread performance rating of 2769.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+W-2245+@+3.90GHz&id=3691

Compare that with the I9-12900K with 24 threads and a rating of 40158 and a single thread performance rating of 4201:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i9-12900K&id=4597
Pay $25 or so more for the K version instead of the KF.
You will get integrated graphics.
It is cheap insurance if you should have graphics card issues.

The noctua NH-D15 is a perfectly good cooler for the 12900K and will do very nicely in our case.
Be careful with your ram selection. The NH-D15 can only tolerate ram up to 32mm.
Low profile corsair LPX is 31mm for example.
A safer choice is the similar NH-D15s which is a newer, high compatibility version that can accommodate ram up to 65mm.

Buy only a quality psu. 750w is fine, but look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty. Seasonic or corsair rm for example.

Buy samsung 980 m.2 devices,
Puget systems thinks highly of their reliability:
On such a high end build, pay extra for the PRO versions; they do a bit better with updated.

Reactions: Why_Me

kanewolf

Titan
I think the xeon w-2245 would be a mistake.
It is deficient in single thread performance.
Such processors and the threadrippers are only better when ALL ov the many threads can be concurrently utilized.
Look up the passmark performance numbers of the processors you are considering.
Pass mark numbers are good for some things. But only if you can keep the CPU fed. The Xeon has better memory bandwidth for large problems.
You and I will just disagree on the benefits of a genuine workstation CPU vs a desktop CPU.

I'm not against a workstation CPU like this, I just can't help but think an i9 12900K with DDR5 RAM instead of DDR4 would be a better match for your use case. That get's you the fastest single threaded performance currently available plus a good helping of cores for multi-threading. DDR5 would help offset the loss of quad channel memory.

Reactions: Why_Me

Just to make sure you are aware of the facts before you hit trigger. Cascade Lake (10980XE) is an older architecture than Alder Lake (12900K), it's IPC is substantially lower. As such the 12900K is a better performer in most respects to the 10980XE and substantially better in single threaded performance. I think most people would be better with the former. It's also worth noting that these workstation chips will be replaced with Sapphire Rapids (workstation/server version of Alder Lake) in Q3 this year, I'm guessing though this will be too much of a wait for you though.

Being an older platform, this doesn't support PCI-E 4 so you won't get the full performance of the WD Black SN850. If you go with the Cascade Lake then I would get the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB instead as it's significantly cheaper:
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-...vo plus-_-20-147-744-_-Product&quicklink=true

Also the i9 models don't support ECC memory, is this a critical requirement for you? I recommended the 10980XE because I cannot see you being satisfied with an 8 core CPU, not if your doing very heavy multi-tasking, particularly since the conversation started with Threadripper. In terms of the benefits of this platform though, you get quad channel memory instead of dual channel, 48 PCI-E lanes instead of 20, support for up to 512GB RAM (Xeon only), AVX 512 (unlikely you'll ever need this). If you wanted to plug multiple GPU's or a large numbers of drives into your PC, you do substantial multi-tasking, then this is a good platform.

I'm still of the mind you'd be quite satisfied with a 5950X or 12900K, but if you really want a workstation platform that's fine. If you opt for the i9 though you will want the X299 chipset instead:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...PkWP1Bi0ZyyWQO0EndIklT_E3i0VkUBYaAldgEALw_wcB

You'd also want to select non ECC memory as it doesn't support it anyway. Please also note the max memory support is 128GB and not 512GB like it is for Xeons.

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Hi Nighthawk117, I must've misunderstood. I thought you were saying the Cascade Lake (10980XE) was a better processor than the 12900K. So, you are suggesting to switch to this processor:

Intel Core i9-129K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor

Then with this processor I can keep the existing hard drive that I've selected:

Does this processor, do I need to switch to different memory and motherboard? After reading over all the replies and comments, my wires got crossed. If I need to change the motherboard for 129000K, then you are recommending this board:

ASUS WS X299 PRO/SE LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 U.2 ATX Motherboard

What about the RAM I had selected?

12900K should have a Z690 based motherboard.
I have no specific recommendation.
But, considering the potential power requirements of a 12900K I would look for a motherboard with robust vrm cooling heat sinks and two 8 pin power connectors.
If you need wifi, most will include it.

If memory performance is important, then look for the DDR5 version.
Today, performance is similar to DDR4, and the cost of DDR4 is less.
But you seem to be willing to pay for the incrementally faster DDR5 ram.

Hi Nighthawk117, I must've misunderstood. I thought you were saying the Cascade Lake (10980XE) was a better processor than the 12900K. So, you are suggesting to switch to this processor:

Intel Core i9-129K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor

Then with this processor I can keep the existing hard drive that I've selected:

Does this processor, do I need to switch to different memory and motherboard? After reading over all the replies and comments, my wires got crossed. If I need to change the motherboard for 129000K, then you are recommending this board:

ASUS WS X299 PRO/SE LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 U.2 ATX Motherboard

What about the RAM I had selected?
Hi, I meant it was a better choice than the Xeon w-2245 which is only 8 cores. Just to clarify, Intel has two desktop platforms:

Mainstream consumer platform:
Current generation = 12th gen (Alder Lake), LGA 1700
Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, i5, i7 and i9
Dual channel memory
Max RAM = 128GB DDR4/DDR5
PCI-E Gen 4/5
Max cores = 16C/24T

Intel HEDT (High End Desktop Platform)
Current generation = 10th gen (Cascade Lake), LGA 2066
Core i9, Xeon
Quad channel memory
Max RAM = 512GB (Xeon) DDR4
PCI-E Gen 3
Max cores = 18C/36T

The big benefit of HEDT is the features and expandability, more cores, quad channel memory, ECC support, many more PCI-E lanes for expansion ect.. If you need that expandability then fine, but from your outlined use case the 12900K or 5950X seems like a better fit.

The X299 board goes with the 10980XE and is Socket LGA 2066. You would need a Z690 board like the one you originally had:

Corsair RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

The one you picked seems like a good board with good power delivery. You can also get a DDR5 version of the same board if you wanted to opt for DDR5 instead, though that will be pricey for 128GB.
I'd also consider the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X as well, they both have their pro's and cons but the latter runs cooler and uses less power. They trade blows in benchmarks, both are very fast.