System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2009: $1,300 Enthusiast PC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

migcat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Anybody has any idea how loud this system will be? I prefer not to hang out in an airplane hanger, if you know what I mean.

voxdan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Question from a total newb, so forgive me. A lot of people, if I understand correctly, are asking why they would use two 5850's instead of one 5970. I'm sure that is a very valid question, and I;m not questioning it. What I want to know is, wouldn't it be better to have two GPUs if you want to run three (or more) displays?

I'm not saying that's why they did it, or that there might not be some other or even better way to run multiple monitors, but I just thought that two GPUs would be an easy way to use three monitors. Is that correct? What else am I missing? Thanks!

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]voxdan[/nom] What I want to know is, wouldn't it be better to have two GPUs if you want to run three (or more) displays?[/citation]

In most cases, yes. CrossFire or SLI will perform better across 3 displays if you're gaming.

For non-gaming tasks, it doesn't matter, really. A single, cheap Eyefinity card is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.