System Builder Marathon: High-Cost System

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/26/system_builder_marathon/index.html

So what do you guys think? I think this is a very good PC given the price. I see the point of the CPU, Case, RAM, etc. EXCEPT THE PSU!! The PSU is a VERY LOW Quality! It is In tier 5! See:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088I would think that they would have used at least a PP&C 610 or a Corsair 520HX. My heart just dropped when I saw the PSU. :??: .
I agree that they could have gotten a different CPU but, given the budget limit I see why they chose that CPU (QX9650) and the Motherboard, RAM, HDDs, Liquid cooling, etc. I still can't get over the fact that they used such a low quality PSU. I think Toms should check out the link above when buying a PSU for a guide.

I think that particular model limps up to Tier-4, but still I don't know anyone of the many people here I'd consider knowing what they're doing recommending or buying a Coolermaster PSU.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Actually, Coolermaster PSU's starting at 850W and up are manufactured by Enhance, which is a very high end OEM manufacturer (Tier 2 on that particular list). I know you looked at that PSU Tier list, but you should search a little bit more for reviews and recommendations because you would find that it performs very well and comes highly recommended.

That said, since they're trying to spend $4,000, I don't see why they wouldn't just grab a 1000W+ model for the 'futurer-proofing' and improved lifespand/efficiency of the PSU (running at lower % loads = most efficient, longer life). I would've grabbed 8Gb of RAM also, but /shrug I'm more interested in the lower budget ranges.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I have to agree with the PSU comment. With an extra 600 bucks to blow, there's no reason to have gone with that particular PSU. In addition, I was kind of expecting 1066 ram to push the limits of overclocking this system, especially with the watercooling setup.

Those things aside, at least this build makes a lot more sense than the previous two...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It was the only power supply they had on hand with cables long enough to reach the CPU 12V power connector. They didn't choose the Coolermaster, it "chose them". The one they were supposed to use simply wouldn't work.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm not sure I completely understood their radiators. I get the dual fan one in the top, but did they use the other one because it holds the reservoir? And does it blow OUT of those side vents? Was it just me, or was that part of the guide confusing?

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008

They said the cords in the modular PSU they used in their last high-end system were too short. They still could have picked out a better PSU that's out on the market.

Thanks for clearing this up. No wonder they "got" that PSU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, it probably should have been explained in the article a little better, but the photos help:
1. The top radiator sits above two exhaust fans, so it's always at the temperature of the inside of the case (which is still much cooler than the CPU).
2. The front radiator sits behind an intake fan, so it gets down close to the temperature of the outside of the case.

Water goes from the CPU to the top radiator where it's cooled to case temperature, then to the bottom radiator where it's cooled even more, before returning to the CPU. Reasons for that design include:

1. The fact that there was no "cold" place to put the big radiator and the small one wouldn't offer the performance they wanted by itself
2. The small radiator has a reservior, so they didn't need to drill holes and waste space for a separate reservoir.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Good points, but I don't think anyone had time to grab another unit, or several new units to find another one with long enough cables. Besides, hardly anyone really needs 1000W, Tripple SLI systems rarely exceed 700W and good power supplies have 50-150W of extra power beyond their rating.

8GB would have been useless using a 32-bit OS, which they picked for compatibility.

digme

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I agree. This is the high-end build. It should have a high-end sound card such as Auzentech Xfi or Xfi Fatality etc... Few PC enthusiasts are going to sink that much into a PC and then not get a good sound card. Was also surprised they didn't go with raptors. Then again, I didn't go with raptors either..I went with the exact same drive they did. :D

brad

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
The sound card looks good.
I have the same case then that one and the most beautiful thing about it his the way I can work with the removable tray for assembly.
I'm not really sure if the water cooling solution with two radiator could lower so much the temperature. i'm pretty sure they can have the same or may be better temp with a Coolit freesone elite and took thefans and put it on top of the case to get more exhaust and the air flow will increase inside the case. Because now the cold air coming in the case is just come from the rear fan, all others fans throw hot air inside.

Last idea, why they don't go for sli-ready memory, like Patriot Extreme Performance 2x2gb and EPP correction. If you do the math the difference will not be over the budget they have and everything is highly available for now.

But to be honest it's damn good machine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Ballistix PC2-6400 has EPP values for 1000MHz. But EPP is useless to an experienced overclocker who would rather manually assign values.

The rear fan pulls hot air out. The top fans pull hot air out. The front fan blows cold air in, but it wil be somewhat warmer after it leaves the front radiator.

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
I dont under stand with another $600 to blow and a wonderful water cooling why not waterblocks for the GPU's it would perform awesome on ocing

dark41

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

I agree with most of the components on this system. It's pretty darned close to the way I'd go if I were to build one myself, and I wouldn't waste money on a sound card with the current onboard sound quality.

Anyone who's run Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 knows that not only will it do 1066MHz without a sweat, it'll also do over 1200MHz. It runs up to 960MHz on 4-4-4-12 timings with 2.1v and up to 1235Mhz (slightly higher or lower on the 3 sets I have) with 5-5-5-15 timings at 2.1v. Not many 1066Mhz modules can claim as much. I might have upped it to the Ballistix Tracer 8500, which runs exactly the same but also includes the nice LEDs. :)

TRENDING THREADS