System Builder Marathon, June 2010: $550 Gaming PC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]t0r012[/nom]sorry it is only intel that requires a new mobo for every generation.come to the AMD team and you can use a 5year old hand me down mobo and go through 3 different processors in that time. Oh yeah and I sill have an upgrade path in this board , 2 in fact. I can go to a quad am2+ or even pick up a newer am3 and still slot it in and use it. Doubt if I could get a BIOS update to run a 6core since the board is so old. Still though it is 5 years old and can still run 90% of most recent CPUs. now had I bilt with intel I would have had to go from socket478 to 775 to 1366 or 1156. That is why I'm kicking myself for considering a i7 920/930.[/citation]First of all, I've had different generations of Socket 754 boards that didn't support the same processors. So scratch off your five-year comment, it's wrong.

Second, you would have instead gone from 939 to AM2 to AM2+ or AM3, so what's the difference there?

Besides, you started out by implying he said something he didn't even say. What he actually said was that most people upgrade their board and processor at the same time, which is completely correct because most enthusiasts build an entirely new system to replace the old one.

All this deception...are you a computer salesman at one of those fly-by-night companies? Or perhaps just a die-hard fan who has no feel for the truth even when it slaps him in the face?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]You're obviously living up to your name. People generally think they'll upgrade their processor, but never do. When you do, you upgrade the motherboard as well. You probably don't know how.People who place a lot of emphasis on motherboard compatibility haven't had computers too long. After a while, you realize it doesn't matter because you never end up just swapping the processor. But if it did, you still have a huge upgrade path on LGA 775 from a Pentium E6500.[/citation]
With Intel, thats 100% true because you don't have an option.
Granted their 775 is the longest they have ever had a single socket supported. Better get that upgrade quick before the stock runs out.

Fyi, I am on my 3rd cpu on this motherboard (am2+ http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1395&maincat_no=1) I upgraded the mb when I had my Athlon 3800+, popped the same cpu I had right in. upgraded to the x2 6000+ about 6 months later, then again over a year later to the phenom II 955. If MSI decides to update the bios again, I can probably get by with one of the new x6 phenoms before I have to upgrade the board again when I go to BD although I don't see a need for it. I am still running the ddr2 ram I bought over 4 years ago.
Lol, the oldest part of my computer is my case. I bought this thing in 1998 and can easily fit any video card in it, and almost any mb (the gigabyte 890fx may not fit)

I upgrade what I can afford to when needed and I have several friends who do the same. Most new gen MBs offer ~2% boost in synthetics from one to the next so why bother unless your looking at the new features. I build computers occasionally for co-workers or acquaintences and family members as a hobby.

If no one upgraded thier cpus or mbs separately, they why are soo many components sold individually. Anyone worrying about thier budgets will be more inclined to do so, not enthusiasts who spend $1000+ for thier computers every year or two. If you want to try and convince me of your rantings, do it on the high end builds not the budget one.

rutoojinn

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Because, according to the competent technical review (i.e. with load testing, waveform analysis, etc) of this PSU at www.hardwaresecrets.com (linked in my earlier post), this PSU is maybe one step above feces....otherwise, yes this was a good build. Use a better PSU, and mount your drives with screws (or use a different case), and you've got a nice machine.[/citation]

LOL!!! ouch didn't think CM PSU well atleast that line was that bad. Good to know and learn. I guess I will just stick to only their cases.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]rutoojinn[/nom]LOL!!! ouch didn't think CM PSU well atleast that line was that bad. Good to know and learn. I guess I will just stick to only their cases.[/citation]
Well th Silent Pro is very decent line.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I use the same processor here and OC to 3.480 GHz but using DDR2 setup. After I compare sisoft sandra's result ... It's strange. My Arithmatic is much higher than the result here.
Dhrystone=47 and Whetstone=45.53
But my Multimedia is much lower. Is it because of the DDR2 or because of the Graphic card (mine is 4850)? Anyone knows?
My multimedia result: SiSoftware Sandra
Benchmark Results
Multi-Media Int x8 aSSE2 : 134MPixel/s
Multi-Media Float x4 iSSE2 : 59.62MPixel/s
Multi-Media Double x2 iSSE2 : 32.52MPixel/s

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Plus keyboard, mouse, OS...By the way I love it how Tom's makes it sound that you can unlock cores in almost every AMD CPU. I tried with 3, 2 wouldn't unlock and the 3rd didn't make it even 20 minutes through Prime95.[/citation]

Well, Tom's hardware always suggest us that not every processor can be unlocked, did you really read the whole article? My own experience is 3 processors (Athlon x3 435) all of them can be unlocked without any problem. They are all very stable. Especially mine is running at 3.480 GHz and under voltage to 1.39 (default is 1.40) on stock HSF (not the after marker one) and the max temp after running prime95 for 2 hours is 57C.

My 720BE must have just passed QA, because it won't POST if the multiplier is raised even to 16 (three cores). The fourth core unlocked, but wasn't immediately stable, and I didn't take more time to futz with it. After it failed to OC (even with +voltage), I just left it at stock.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Looking at this config my person preference would be to ax the 5770 and go for a less powerful card. In Tom's best vid cards for May list the 4850 for around $100. I would switch these video cards and put the xtra money and get more memory.
I do agree that the 5770 is a better card and it has DX11 but I don't see a major push for DX11 and I don't see many cards that are DX11 games out there (there are a few (AvP)). But most of the games mainly support DX10 and even DX9 in some cases. As a budget minded person the more memory would be more beneficial than a DX11 card.

G

NZXT GAMMA! 30 bucks AND it had cable management, a bottom mounted psu, and SIX fan slots!

At higher (but realistic) temps that CM PSU will go out of spec at anything over 80% load. This based on the review at a competitor's site and admittedly just one review. I don't object to the use of this unit here, but I wish you could have cautioned people about this.
CM PSUs are all over the place in terms of quality, and it's very important to research any CM (or TT as well) PSU carefully before purchase.
Fortunately Corsair has some budget PSUs in the works that sound promising.

Edit: I see it has been covered more later in the article and brought up already here... well, consider it another vote :)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]Looking at this config my person preference would be to ax the 5770 and go for a less powerful card. In Tom's best vid cards for May list the 4850 for around $100. I would switch these video cards and put the xtra money and get more memory. [/citation]
The only thing you will get out of more memory is the comfort of massive multitasking. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264-6.html
I don't think you will be doing that anyway with a low budget machine so whats the point of wasting money on what you will see absolutely no benefit at all?

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I'm perfectly fine with integrated sound for this article, but I also want free PCI slots to add a sound card, and another eventual card.

Today, all integrated sound have noise, and it annoys me. So I want a good sound card.

G

Managed to outspec this comp using Tigerdirect deals fairly well (and about 60 more bucks for flourish), buying the package deals there tend to help (for example a x4, a hd5750 and a mobo all in one for under 400) plus alot of the budget towers come with PSU. But just be vigilant. It helps to just see these benchmarks though, great informative article.

...and that PSU-shaped object that came in that budget tower will, sooner rather than later (probably when the HD5750 ramps up), immolate itself under load, likely taking other parts with it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]...and that PSU-shaped object that came in that budget tower will, sooner rather than later (probably when the HD5750 ramps up), immolate itself under load, likely taking other parts with it.[/citation]When peak load for CPU and GPU simultaneously is only 205W? I'd like to see where you came up with that conclusion.

jlefebre6001

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
i personally wouldve gone for a 5750 instead and gone with the phenom II x4, just my 2 cents. video cards come and go but i always try to future proof the cpu as much as possible within the budget.

hayden0103

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I want to ask people honestly: as someone who's never owned a gaming-capable computer, is there a noticeably annoying difference between 30FPS and 60FPS. I know how 60Hz is the standard refresh rate on LCD monitors, anything slower causes flickering, blah, blah, blah. But seeing as I've never had the pleasure of playing Crysis, is it such a big deal that it runs at ~30FPS on the June PC versus 59FPS on the March rig (at 1280x1024, mind you).

Also, can anyone recommend a replacement mobo for this build that is comparable in features, performance, and price but in microATX size?

hayden0103

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Quick comment: On Newegg.com, the Athlon II X3 440 is now cheaper than the 435 used in this build. The 440 has a higher stock clock but otherwise I believe it is the same.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I'd like to know why I cannot find any online store (like TigerDirect, NewEgg, etc.) that sells a system as good as this one. This one is tested and reviewed to be quite sufficient for an inexpensive GAMING computer to run 'many' games on.

I understand that this is the "Builder's Marathon," but I thought it would be a good place to ask if anyone knows where to buy a COMPARABLE system (not straying too far away from the hardware recommended on this one). Also, I personally would like to have Windows 7 Ultimate pre-installed on it, so that all the hardware could be tested--and, WARRANTEED by the store which sold it.

I"m 65 and tired. Heh heh. It takes weeks to dig through all the technical jargon, the hundreds of contradictory user-opinions, etc. And, by the time I'm through doing that, new configurations are recommended!

On a low, set income, I want to buy a machine just like this, already put together with the OS, but I can't find one anywhere. Most have outdated, or really pitiful graphic cards, or CPUS, etc., just so they can keep the price low. But, THG has already done the work and research for them! It amazes me that "somebody" doesn't sell QUALITY GAMING MACHINES (with THIS HARDWARE!) FOR THIS PRICE-RANGE!

I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, but it seemed logical to me at the time I thought of the question.

I'd love it if somebody pointed me to such a system, already complete.

-- Kreelor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Kreelor[/nom]I'd like to know why I cannot find any online store (like TigerDirect, NewEgg, etc.) that sells a system as good as this one. This one is tested and reviewed to be quite sufficient for an inexpensive GAMING computer to run 'many' games on. I understand that this is the "Builder's Marathon," but I thought it would be a good place to ask if anyone knows where to buy a COMPARABLE system (not straying too far away from the hardware recommended on this one). Also, I personally would like to have Windows 7 Ultimate pre-installed on it, so that all the hardware could be tested--and, WARRANTEED by the store which sold it.I"m 65 and tired. Heh heh. It takes weeks to dig through all the technical jargon, the hundreds of contradictory user-opinions, etc. And, by the time I'm through doing that, new configurations are recommended!On a low, set income, I want to buy a machine just like this, already put together with the OS, but I can't find one anywhere. Most have outdated, or really pitiful graphic cards, or CPUS, etc., just so they can keep the price low. But, THG has already done the work and research for them! It amazes me that "somebody" doesn't sell QUALITY GAMING MACHINES (with THIS HARDWARE!) FOR THIS PRICE-RANGE!I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, but it seemed logical to me at the time I thought of the question.I'd love it if somebody pointed me to such a system, already complete.-- Kreelor[/citation]A bunch of guys in the forums would probably build it for you for a $50-100 fee, but you'd still have to go to component manufacturers for warranty service.

hayden0103

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I just added all of the tower components (does not include keyboard/mouse/monitor) and the price is just under 525 bucks including shipping (I live in Tennessee). Of course, Newegg HAS to have a distro center in my state and I get slapped with $50 of sales tax.

betito477

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Hi,

I'm going to try and build my first system based on this one. I'm on a tight budget. I was wondering if these components that I have on my current computer will work with the new components listed on the table so I can save some money.

I have a BFG Tech ATX12V V2.2 550 Watt Power supply (GS Series)

I have a 250GB Serial ATA WDC2500JD(Western Digital Cavier i think) - Might upgrade later but I also have a External WD 500gb hdd I'm gonna be using.

My video card is a ATI RADEON HD 4650, I'm sure that will work.

Also I want to use a different case instead of the one listed in the table. I'm thinking about getting this one http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-CS-NT-...f=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1282183973&sr=1-19. Says it's compatible with ATX motherboards which is what the ASUS M4A77TD is. But what about the power supply? The watts don't match the BFG tech one I have, would that matter?

" Technical Details

* Model Number: 47624
* Drive bays (external): 5 x 5.25-inch bays, 1 x 3.5-inch bays
* Drive bays (internal): 4 x 3.5-inch bays
* Motherboard compatibility: ATX, Micro-ATX, Baby AT
* Expansion slot: 7
* Ports: 2 x USB 2.0 ports, IEEE 1394/FireWire port, audio jack (Intel HD Audio ready)
* Cooling system: Front: 1 x 120-millimeter fan (optional); rear: 1 x 120-millimeter fan; side panel: 1 x 120-millimeter blue LED fan
* Power supply compatibility: 400 W PS2 ATX 12V (not included)
* Construction: SECC Steel
* Color: Black
* Dimensions: 8.6 x 17.25 x 21.1 inches / 218 x 438 x 536 millimeters (W x H x D)
* Weight: 15.9 pounds / 7.2 kilograms without power supply"

The parts for this system will cost me roughly $330 if I can use the Power Supply, HDD, and Video Card I currently use and use the case that I want. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS