System Builder Marathon, March 2010: System Value Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
The performance of the $750 system is great for the price and i certainly agree with your statement "Yet the real winner is not the machine but its builder, as Paul Henningsen achieved a best value coup with AMD’s low-cost, overclockable, and unlockable Athlon II X3 435 processor."
A big +1 to Mr. Henningsen and the other builders.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Its nice to know "Go BIG or Go Home" can GO AWAY!!!

Drop to a 500gb HDD and step up for the 1gb 4850s, and you have a very well balanced high power system with budget parts. Bravo Paul. Good showing Don and Tom.

I too agree that the credit should go to the builder - Mr. Henningsen
But I would say that it should also go to AMD for giving such a CPU...
Low-Mid segment, AMD still rules in terms of value and performance...

Outstanding results. I hope this helps kids who are building with Daddy's money understand that they don't need to waste it on a big edong. Furthermore, for all practical intents and purposes, FPS may be capped at 120Hz for 3D displays and 60Hz for the other 99.9+% of us, and higher [minimum] framerates ignored in the value comparisons as not being a visible improvement. Unlocking being partly a matter of luck though, it does still support the value of a quad-core processor, even in a budget build.
On the subject of AVG, I'd leave it in the benchmarks as a valid example of a program a lot of people use, making its results relevant even if they look a little odd.

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I built my first build last October using a very similar setup.

Antec 300 Illusion (same case)
Gygabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H (same motherboard)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS
G.Skill (2x2GB) DDR3 1333
AMD Phenom II X3 720
Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5750 (recently added)
Corsair 450VX
Samsung SH-S223B DVD Burner

At the time it cost slightly less, without OS and including the recently added Radeon HD 5750 totals $737.55

I have very similar benchmarks, slightly better actually and am very satisfied with the system. I have successfully unlocked the fourth core of the BE 720 and ran benchmarks after overclocking the processor and video card. It's an outstanding system for the price, more than I need. Actually I have locked back down the fourth core and do not keep it over-clocked as I don't do a lot of gaming.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
IMO both the $750 and $1500 systems perform extremely well for the cost. From the looks of it the $3000 pc would be more of a status symbol.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I hope u guys start selling PCs on Newegg. "THG SMB Gaming PCs", I would like to buy that $750 PC, already built at that price or similar. It would save me alot of trouble building and ordering parts and it will become an instant best seller. You guys can destroy cyberpower and alienware and others. Paul Henningson, you can get rich fast.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I'm just a little curious though about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. results. It says that the benchmark is using DX11. The $750 system is being evaluated there but is using HD4xxx video cards. How are you getting results for DX11 for that build? Anyway, great job as always guys! Although, I would have to say that to me the winning PC would be the $1500 OC as it was capable of staring down the $3k box and not flinch. Of course, I also say it because I have a 24" monitor and the $750 rig just doesn't cut it there unfortunately. Lastly, in one of the articles you guys asked if you should go back to the old $500/$1k/$2k builds. I think you guys are now in the new "sweet spots" for PC now. $750-$800/$1200-$1500/$2500-Obscene are good ranges these days. Hmm... maybe the "Obscene" should be a forth "bonus" build ;)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks for another fine series. Congrats again to Paul for such a great build at a very respectable price-point. I love seeing how well the lower-priced rigs do.

Great work!

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I enjoyed reading about all 3 SBM builds. Very impressive and congratulations to Paul. Based on the results I am seriously considering going with AMD whenever I get the money to build a new computer. Hopefully by then, RAM and video card prices will have dropped.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The rules for the giveaway state that you DO NOT get the assembled PC, but the parts instead. I wonder why that is. Can someone from Toms comment on this?

dlochinski

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
The rules for the giveaway state that you DO NOT get the assembled PC, but the parts instead. I wonder why that is. Can someone from Toms comment on this?
Probably for shipping purposes. Shipping as is would be iffy, and plus, this is a SYSTEM BULDERS marathon, so it wouldn't make since to send the pc built already

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Great marathon this time. While the most expensive builds have nearly never interested me due to budget constrains, this time the cheapest one is a hell of a machine!

Usually I set for the 'enthusiast' build, but this marathon brought up a real champion of the masses with the 750 build.

With a little budget Paul achieved what should be the core of the SBM series: the best performance on a given budget.
Mind you: not awesome synthetics that almost never translate into real world performance, not best bang/buck with cramped performance... real value where it really matters.

Grats to Paul and here's to waiting for the next SBM, you've set a really high bar here, mister.

heartburnkid

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Two things that strike me here:

1) That $750 rig packs an impressive amount of power for something so inexpensive.
2) You actually get very, very little for the money jumping from $1500 to $3000.

notty22

Distinguished
I enjoyed the whole series. Heres MY solution for a ultimate bargain rig. Use the case,psu,gpu's,ddr3 from the 750 build. Replace with Intel i5 750, and GA-P55A-UD4P. That would raise your costs about 150.00 dollars. Not counting a possible combo savings.
Use your hsf money for a h50-1 corsair self contained water unit.
Build
Conquer
Relish and enjoy :)

I've entered, of course. If I had no other parts, I'd be happy with any of them as they are (although I'd probably only use one video card, since my games aren't extremely demanding). I have other parts though, including an Antec SG-650 which I could use in any of these (with one video card), and an Intel 80GB SSD, which I would use to retain TRIM support. Any extra video card, PSU, and/or 64GB SSD I would find a way to give away, I think to a non-USA person who would have been excluded from the contest (provided no law would be broken).

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I hope u guys start selling PCs on Newegg. "THG SMB Gaming PCs", I would like to buy that $750 PC, already built at that price or similar. It would save me alot of trouble building and ordering parts and it will become an instant best seller. You guys can destroy cyberpower and alienware and others. Paul Henningson, you can get rich fast.[/citation]

...he would not get rich selling that system for $750, that's for sure. You have wages and other overhead when you are building. Putting together a "Tom's SBM 750" build list on newegg is another thing. It would no longer be a $750 system if the did any more than sell us the parts. How easy would it be to sell a "Tom's $750" system for $1000 do you think? (have no idea what overhead and profit req's would need for a final price, but you get the idea)

Just letting you know man, nothing is for free. ;-)

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Wow- Absolutely FANTASTIC performance from the $750 machine. I just built a very similar machine for my wife only using my old 4870 instead of the 4850's, but was also able to unlock the 4th core no problem Absolutely fantastic value as I had a few leftover parts I could reuse, so I ended up paying about $350 for the whole machine. Heck of a value. I'm loving these cheap AMD processors- nothing Intel has can match the price/performance of the Athlon II's!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]JEVERSON[/nom]I'm just a little curious though about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. results. It says that the benchmark is using DX11.[/citation] DX11 was the default setting, which of course was unavailable in the older graphics cards of the $750 machine. It might not look increadibly better, but DX11 is actually one of the not-so-noticeable benefits of using a newer graphics card.
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]The rules for the giveaway state that you DO NOT get the assembled PC, but the parts instead. I wonder why that is. Can someone from Toms comment on this?[/citation]The system's are either completey disassembled or partially disassembled to reduce the risk of damage during shippping. The fact that I can't tell you more should be telling in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.