System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $1000 Enthusiast PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
for 1k usd seems to be a cheap system.. hmm nice review, is good to see that new processors are really efficient even when overclocked ..to bad about the 22cm cooler of the side panel of that funny case. My Armor+ has exactly the same issue with a V6gt cooler and I decided to go back to my hyper212+ :D.

AkIRA_22

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
that has to be the ugliest case I've ever seen in my life. At the end of the day the case is 100% taste, to 'recommend' a case is futile.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Just for testing purposes, could that 220mm fan have been mounted on the outside of the case, to see if its worth buying a slimmer fan with that extra $24 in the budget?

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Strange results in games. 460 1gb SLI is equal to gtx580 in Crysis, but in this article two 460gtx show the same performance as 6950...

Luay

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Amazing value. This machine can do rip trough anything @ 1920x1200. I like how you're keeping your eyes open on mobos yet to appear;
Asrok P67 Extreme4, MSI P67 GD45, Intel Boxdp67bg, Asus P67Pro, Gigabyte P67UD4: Cheapest SLI/CF x8 w/3slot-for-each-card-boards out there. Only one can be the best. My bet is on Intel.

6950 all the way and nothing less, not even to fit in a SSD.

For $10 more, I would pick the Inwin Dragon Slayer for bigger size, 4 fans, meshed covers (Princess Leia's daddy).

Another $10 for the Corsair TX650 Version 2.0, but that was just released 3 weeks ago.

I saw the case, and it made me instantly awaken. Not quite sure how to explain it - though it does come down to personal taste anyway.

As for some of the gaming benchmarks, it's really a mixed bag. Sandy Bridge/6950 rules at 1080p & lower but anything higher seems to be in the domain of the dual Nvidia cards. Though the Core i3 was a really extreme compromise.

Now waiting for the AMD build to show up!

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I saw the case, and it made me instantly awaken. Not quite sure how to explain it - though it does come down to personal taste anyway.As for some of the gaming benchmarks, it's really a mixed bag. Sandy Bridge/6950 rules at 1080p & lower but anything higher seems to be in the domain of the dual Nvidia cards. Though the Core i3 was a really extreme compromise. Now waiting for the AMD build to show up![/citation]

That has to do with the way certain games are programmed and made to prefer certain architecture over another. it's not exactly the fault of the video cards.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnMD1022[/nom]I have to learn to spell 'case'... lolSeagate drive? No way... pure junk.[/citation]
Nothing wrong with a seagate drive...as an external HDD. Never used one as an internal though.
The case itself looks real good, and hopefully efficient at cooling. Although I must say, it looks like a 'gaming' case that was first built around early 2000. I personally like it though, it looks quite unique.

G

To get my i5 760 above 4.1 GHz on a GIGABYTE USB3 I had to disable thermal monitoring, so that it wouldn't clock down when it reached somewhere in the 60s C under full load. I tried to balance this increased risk by making sure to have the CPU fan failure alarm on. Maybe manufacturers are very conservative with what they consider acceptable thermals and that is why the overclock is being hampered a bit in this case, because I know the Lynnfield architecture could handle much higher temps. The same type of thing may be taking effect here with this ASRock board. I'm definitely not certain about this though, you guys probably tested that, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Obviously a 6950 can't beat a 5770 in graphic performance, alongside a phenom II 840 against a new i5 model...
Doesn't trump the 1000$ system at all, nice try though.

EDIT: Not to mention the better mobo on the build by TomsHardware, a better power supply, and a somewhat more efficient case.

Status
Not open for further replies.