System Builder Marathon, May '09: $2,500 Performance PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
What's with the efficiency adage at the end i mean i get why but I'm sure most of us noticed that overclocking gave us more performance but at the price of a higher electric bill, but we'll do it anyways. :)

Case is nice but i mean with such a high end system seems like a waste so cluttered yet it all fits which makes it pretty cool esp if you put it right on top next to your monitor makes a nice look factor but it's not my style though. ;)

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Antec Mini P180 would have had better airflow as well. It can fit even a 120mm fan and heatsink for the CPU, you don't have a PSU blocking it and adding heat to the air around the CPU.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Very interesting as I have a pretty powerful core i7 matx build as well, however, here is what I would have changed if I were you:
Case: Antec Mini p180 - much more room, especially if you remove bottom hard drive cage, can take ANY graphics then, much better cooling, and allows for REAL cpu cooler.
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Gene - I used the DFI model then got the ASUS, its nicer, much nicer. Unless you need a couple specific overclocking things in BIOS, id recommend Asus board hands down, AND it has 2 firewire, one header, and one rear.

For those that care (probably not many but why not), here is my system:
Antec Mini p180
Corsair TX750 PSU (wish I had the $$ for the 1000 watt model used here)
LG GGC-H20L Combo Blu Ray Drive (same used)
WD 640GB Caviar Blue - placed in top optical drive slot - working on VR 300GB
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (saving for the Dominator GT DDR3-2000)
Dominator AirFlow Fan (triple channel model)
Intel Core i7 920
Lapped TRUE
5x Scythe S-Flex G fans (2 on TRUE, 1 exhaust, 2 intake in place of hard drive cages)
Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II Northbridge Cooler
2x EVGA GTX275 SLI (the SC models, even though I purchased stock clocks :))

This system hauls some serious ass, well staying reasonably cooled - although I will say that the S-Flex G fans have a noticeable hum to them. This system has run for days at 4GHz (50% overclock) with no issues.I "only" game on a 24" screen so the 2x GTX275 suffice for me. Thought about 295's in SLI but did not want to worry about the heat those can make (and the much higher cost).

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, I love the firewire solution. :p I do that kind of thing all the time.

I'm actually really impressed with this machine for it's size. I've used that silverstone exaust fan in quite a few machines, and despite it's totally uninspiring performance, it can really be a life-saver.

Though if I won this machine, I'd totally throw it in a HAF, and ebay that case away. :p:D

I really appreciate the unusual board choice and would really like to hear some further impressions, as in an actual review ;)
The case looks very nice, but then Silverstone always does.
A bit surprised at the PSU selection given the cards, but impressed that it survived so well.
Couldn't a higher RPM low profile heatsink have been found? Scythe Shuriken for instance?

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
While I'm not loving the case design, I am loving it's layout. Too bad you had to use the box cooler... Perhaps a Lian Li PC-A05B would have been a better choice? It needs the optional PCI cooler assembly to keep the slots area cool, but it will do the job, while not limiting you to a mini-ATX board. It will also allow almost any aftermarket CPU Cooler (including some WC setups).

Another small gripe... wouldn't the 640GB Blacks be just a little faster then the 500GB RE3's? They might not get the full 5 yrs warranty, and the 24/7 validation seems more like a marketing term.

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I do get the vibe... don't use big-ass cases for gaming rigs anymore. It is true that bigger isn't always what you need, and it shouldn't be what you'd want.

Overall nice setup.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]vorless[/nom]Thats an ugly ass case, and for 2,500 u better get D0 stepping instead.[/citation]

I dont care if this things ugly, it will beat my pc anyday, I would love to win this bad boy.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but since this is supposed to be a portable PC, shouldn't the disks be configured as RAID1 - Mirror - for better protection and some Read performance improvement?
Since the RAID controllers aren't very trusty, i think it's a risk to go to a LAN party or a competition with RAID0...
Another thing: instead of 2x disks 7200-rpm wasn't it better to install a WD Raptor 10k-rpm with better performance? I'm pretty sure this option would offer better stability instead of the RAID0 set...

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It's nice to squeeze all this H/W into such a small enclosure, but I must say I don't like it that way..If I win this small beast I'm gonna spread its guts to a larger case and O/C it to the extreme! I guess this CPU will have no problem reaching 4 Ghz, it's "lucky"!
Few points:
1.I agree that ASUS rampage gene is better than the DFI they used here. It came into mind once I read the opening paragraph, hoping it'll be the one used.
2. The fans of PSU and CPU cooler blow air in opposite directions and they're fairly close to each other. I think it helped increasing CPU temps bigtime.
3. I don't know if they fit or not, but there are decent low profile CPU coolers built for HTPC cases. I guess they'd perform better.
All in all, it's a nice build. Well done.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]p0werhorse[/nom]I too would like to know if non US citizens can enter the competition?[/citation]
Answer: No... given the fact that all the TH competitions were for US only

Other then that, an unusual system builder marathon this month. Hope that tomorrow an even more weird system comes up at the $1300 price point

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I'd have rather seen an SSD with a spare TB drive than the RAID'ed 500's.
Two of the 295's is overkill but it still looks like a great build. I wouldn't mind winning it ;)

G

I would suggest a Power Supply of 1.250W.

I already tested a system close to this (Core i7 920 + 2x GTX 295), and when you put the CPU and GPU at max stress (Prime95 or OCCT + Furmark), the 1.000W psu does not hold the system (it will shut off).

Off course, when gaming (Crysis for instance), the system will run fine (since the game cannot put that much stress on the CPU + GPU).

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I would love to win it, then I would putt it in a bigger case and add a 3rd part heatskink lol. The GTX 295's just look very cramped.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Very interesting as I have a pretty powerful core i7 matx build as well, however, here is what I would have changed if I were you:Case: Antec Mini p180 - much more room...[/citation]

This build followed up on requests for cube-shaped PC's by presenting a case with the same internal volume (size) in a slightly different shape. If you get the SG04-H (Handle) as recommended rather than SG03, you'll find that the narrower "mini tower" is easier to carry than a cube-shaped case of the same volume.

When people ask for a cube, it's easy to justify a differently-shaped case of the same size. When you go large, you're no longer catering to those needs.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Who requested that thing? It is cool, but i wonder what some dust will do to it ^_^, hope this thing will not burn the house down along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS