System Builder Marathon, Q1 2013: $600 Gaming PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I priced an
FX 6300
Asrock 970 Pro3
and the cheapest 7870
earlier in this discussion

It cost $4 more than the intel cpu, mb and 7850
Its completely doable at the $600 budget point.

In the past you have built using a phenom 955, and 6870 and run it with an Antec 380 green power supply . That was not ideal . It would have had a higher power draw than the build Im suggesting and you ran it on 380 watts . Running my suggested build on a 400/430 watt psu is also not ideal . But its absolutely possible .

As far as Im aware the only assertion I have made is that the AMD system , with a 7870 will game better .
Ive said that because I know it to be true .

Feb 27, 2013

Swap that mobo with a Gigabyte 970a (which is $80 on newegg) and then swap that power supply with a Seasonic 520 watt and then swap that 7870 with a Sapphire 7870 XT ( $240 on pcpartpicker.com) and you got yourself a computer that completely destroys the intel build.

Its been quite humorous watching people suggest $60 cases, $30 coolers, and $70 power supply units for AMD builds so the price is inflated above the intel build

I wouldnt want to use the cheap case of the intel build, or the too cheap motherboard etc etc. But to remain with the spirit of this article my suggested build uses all the componentry of the intel build except for cpu, mb and graphics card [ and now power supply ] .
You are right that your suggestion will demolish the intel in gaming

But so will mine

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286&Tpk=FX%206300

ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157319

MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB $220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127722

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 $34
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=cx%20430
[ the antec is out of stock anyway ]

The cpu,mb.graphics card cost $4 dollars more than the suggested intel build. The psu is another $4 more

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Outlander_04[/nom]Its been quite humorous watching people suggest $60 cases, $30 coolers, and $70 power supply units for AMD builds so the price is inflated above the intel build I wouldnt want to use the cheap case of the intel build, or the too cheap motherboard etc etc. But to remain with the spirit of this article my suggested build uses all the componentry of the intel build except for cpu, mb and graphics card [ and now power supply ] .You are right that your suggestion will demolish the intel in gaming But so will mine AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) $140http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] =FX%206300ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ $75http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157319MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB $220http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814127722CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 $34http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] k=cx%20430[ the antec is out of stock anyway ] The cpu,mb.graphics card cost $4 dollars more than the suggested intel build. The psu is another $4 more[/citation]
Wait, you are factoring mail in rebates? Ah, no wonder your math wasn't adding up to everyon elses. No rebates, no promo codes, our $600 build didn't factor those either. Your CPU+GPU+Mobo alone adds [strike]$23-24[/strike], edit: $33-34 I think.

We could keep dancing.... your's is a nice option for games, no question, but the problem is the next guy will beat you with i3 + Tahiti LE, which is as cheap/cheaper and faster still for pure games, and likely no more power hungry than you Pitcairn/FX build. Of course, this assumes Tahiti LE is in stock. That's your competition for games, and again, overall value (the goal here)... both lose to this $600 rig.

dragonopolis

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Sorry I don't see my post so might be repeated: I would have replace the motherboard and processor mobo with an AMD mobo.... newegg had asrock 970 extreme4 am3+ for $99 (2 pci-e 2.0 slots at x8) and amazon had fx-8320 for $169..... using everything else that was in the build it would have come to $603. I personally would have gone with a 2GB 7850 vs the 1GB used but that would have bump me up to approx $630. i5-3350p and fx8320 are evenly matched for the most part but fx8320 does better in multithreaded apps and games that use it. Also, the FX8320 is a better overclocker than i5-3350p. Regardless of which way you go...... it's good times for gaming.

Just a note: the cheaper I build the system the more I like to make it easily upgradable..... I have a cheap $600 computer I would probably put in a larger power supply. This way my rig is upgradable to crossfire and I don't have to worry about pulling out the psu a year from now to add a graphic card. Found a decent 850w psu for $15 more. This would make "MY" mobo $603+$15= $618 OR if I went with a 2GB Graphic card it would be $603+15+$25= $643...... a better case to would have been added to better accommodate a future Graphic Card which would have push my price to $650.....not bad..... not bad.. at all. Approx. 6-12 months later, add 4GB of memory and another HD 7850 for around $200 total and I have game potential of a HD 7970.

dragonopolis

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
[citation][nom]dragonopolis[/nom]Sorry I don't see my post so might be repeated: I would have replace the motherboard and processor mobo with an AMD mobo.... newegg had asrock 970 extreme4 am3+ for $99 (2 pci-e 2.0 slots at x8) and amazon had fx-8320 for $169..... using everything else that was in the build it would have come to $603. I personally would have gone with a 2GB 7850 vs the 1GB used but that would have bump me up to approx $630. i5-3350p and fx8320 are evenly matched for the most part but fx8320 does better in multithreaded apps and games that use it. Also, the FX8320 is a better overclocker than i5-3350p. Regardless of which way you go...... it's good times for gaming.Just a note: the cheaper I build the system the more I like to make it easily upgradable..... I have a cheap $600 computer I would probably put in a larger power supply. This way my rig is upgradable to crossfire and I don't have to worry about pulling out the psu a year from now to add a graphic card. Found a decent 850w psu for $45 more. This would make "MY" mobo $603+$45= $648 OR if I went with a 2GB Graphic card it would be $603+45+$25= $673...... a better case to would have been added to better accommodate a future Graphic Card which would have push my price to $688.....not bad..... not bad.. at all. Approx. 6-12 months later, add 4GB of memory and another HD 7850 for around $200 total and I have game potential of a HD 7970.[/citation]

[citation][nom]pauldh[/nom]Wait, you are factoring mail in rebates? Ah, no wonder your math wasn't adding up to everyon elses. No rebates, no promo codes, our $600 build didn't factor those either. Your CPU+GPU+Mobo alone adds $23-24, edit: $33-34 I think. We could keep dancing.... your's is a nice option for games, no question, but the problem is the next guy will beat you with i3 + Tahiti LE, which is as cheap/cheaper and faster still for pure games, and likely no more power hungry than you Pitcairn/FX build. Of course, this assumes Tahiti LE is in stock. That's your competition for games, and again, overall value (the goal here)... both lose to this $600 rig.[/citation]

I factored in what it would cost to buy . As you did when you chose a discounted psu [ for instance ]

I suppose you could do as you say and use an even cheaper intel dual core and mb to fit an even more expensive graphics card in to the build . But you are wrong that it would game better

It would suck harder than an out of breath sperm whale in high resolution online gaming .

I also think the FX 6300 is going to be close in performance to the intel quad in the kind of applications that most pc builders wwill be interested in . Encoding is important , but others will be of interest to only a very few people .

So Paul the challenge remains . Bild the AMD and put it head to head with your build . Even if you cant get Newegg to supply the components its a very cheap build .... and you have half the results already

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Im curious to know the reliability of this antec 400W psu compared to a COrsair CX430.[/citation]
I'll take the Seasonic-built Antec over the CWT-built Corsair any day, all day long (or until the Corsair dies, whichever comes first). At least I don't think the Corsair will take anything with it when it goes.

[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]Hmmm, methinks that Corsair Builder won't be able to hold up its end of the log...[/citation]

32 amps on the 12 volt rail . It will run a 95 watt cpu , and a 165 watt graphics card with more than ten amps to spare
It is loaded more than is ideal . AMD recommend a minimum 500 watts for a pc with a 7870 so we are 70 watts short of that .

But then AMD recommend 450 watts for a 7850 so the intel i5 build is 50 watts short too

At stock, yes, but overclocked? Under heavy load, those 85C Samxon "GF" caps are going to get a little toasty in there...for a while, anyway...

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]I'll take the Seasonic-built Antec over the CWT-built Corsair any day, all day long (or until the Corsair dies, whichever comes first). At least I don't think the Corsair will take anything with it when it goes.[/citation]
I trust the Neo ECO for sure, and @ $30 it was an easy decision. It reminds me of the Corsair 400CX linked below. Never ripped either apart, but have used both without issue. Wouldn't be suprised if they are the same oem, and even the same design?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]At stock, yes, but overclocked? Under heavy load, those 85C Samxon "GF" caps are going to get a little toasty in there...for a while, anyway...[/citation]

My guess would be the AMD stock cpu cooler would be a limitation before the power supply melted . You are right it is a potential limitation to overclocking but those 10 amps are 120 watts of headroom .
The question then is can you OC an FX 6300 so much on the stock cooler that it draws 215 watts? Not a chance IMO .
And deafness would be a bonus at that point since the noise would be well out of control

The antec 400 watt unit is a good psu . The corsair too . Im not questioning the quality of either ... but the antec is unavailable and not that price any more

sethandflirt

Honorable
May 5, 2012
This rig would destroy just about all the ones I have seen in the comments. (and obliterate the one this article is about.
AMD FX-4300 120.79
gigabyte 970 80.00
PYN gtx 660ti 270.00
Seagate 500gb 55.00
Logisys Corp. 550W 23.22
4gb ram 25.00
GAMMA Classic 34.00

total 607.00

I would spend 650 and get a fx6300 and 8gb of ram.

[citation][nom]sethandflirt[/nom]This rig would destroy just about all the ones I have seen in the comments. (and obliterate the one this article is about.AMD FX-4300 120.79gigabyte 970 80.00PYN gtx 660ti 270.00Seagate 500gb 55.00Logisys Corp. 550W 23.224gb ram 25.00GAMMA Classic 34.00total 607.00I would spend 650 and get a fx6300 and 8gb of ram.[/citation]

Only until the power supply caught fire

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Not according to this:http://www.intel.com/content/dam/w [...] asheet.pdf[/citation]
Yep, I agree, seems clear. But wait, back to his link again, what's Intel's repsonse to their community regarding 1.65V? Our processors do not support more than 1.5V. That's a self-certified list...... and suddenly a lot less clear.
http://communities.intel.com/thread/30798

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]However, while I confidently declared last quarter's effort the best $500 gaming box I've ever built for this series, I can't say the same about today's $600 configuration. It offers outstanding performance for what I spent, but I suspect that matching up a lower-end CPU with a Radeon HD 7870 based on Tahiti LE might yield an even better experience at 1920x1080.[/citation]

Correction: A better experience TODAY. But once the games capable of utilizing 4 cores become the norm, you'll see a ridiculous CPU bottleneck.

This is based on my observation of the Core i7-920. Released back in 2008, this processor is still considered a very capable gaming option 5 years later (with some overclocking). This means you'll only need to replace your GPU every 3 years. And with AMD slacking off in the performance race and focusing in other areas, the situation won't change anytime soon.

I've owned the 3770K for some time now. And after one year of it's release, I find that it's performance is still top-notch, even at stock speed. When I need more performance, I'll simply overclock it

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]Correction: A better experience TODAY. But once the games capable of utilizing 4 cores become the norm, you'll see a ridiculous CPU bottleneck.This is based on my observation of the Core i7-920. Released back in 2008, this processor is still considered a very capable gaming option 5 years later (with some overclocking). This means you'll only need to replace your GPU every 3 years. And with AMD slacking off in the performance race and focusing in other areas, the situation won't change anytime soon. I've owned the 3770K for some time now. And after one year of it's release, I find that it's performance is still top-notch, even at stock speed. When I need more performance, I'll simply overclock it[/citation]
Yes, I can agree with that. It can and will happen, but when? OC is the stinker, but you can just pop the appropriate 2nd or 3rd gen i5 in the past year’s $500 gamers and be golden still. And had we gone more CPU plus less GPU, then what? The GPU would already limit things, and need replacing at an earlier time.

It’s a shift that started, long ago with GTA IV as one example. But when, will dual-core no longer cut it? We have circled this same debate since quads were released, E8400 vs. Q6600 as an example. Yet both those chips were stellar for years. It depends on your type of game, shooter vs. RTS, and more specifically your exact game. It's still not the norm, meaning it’s rare a G850 or say G2020 is incapable. And certainly, $70 Pentium + $165 for 7850, will out game almost any other combo for the same total price. G2020 + GTX 680 SLI is obviously a dumb combo, but somewhere down the scale you need more GPU than CPU. The question is, what are enough CPU and enough GPU, for your games and settings?

But that comment you “corrected” goes back to the intro, so credit the HD 7850 for introducing a new level of 19x10 gaming. Credit the Pentium just for allowing it at $500, and showing it does a fine job in our crop of games, even including the latest FC3.

mahin1islam

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
not cool. you could have used a cheaper mobo/case and used an i3. that would have left you with enough to use an HD7870. that would be much better for gaming

rechauffe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hey guys, I'm in need of a new desktop gaming machine and have a strict budget - we have a baby on the way in October. This will likely be my last toy for a while :)

Is it worth upgrading to a 7870 and 8GB of RAM both to add a little future proofing, or would you stay with the setup as-is?

If you have the money, both upgrades are worth it.

Of course it also depends on your display's native resolution and what games you expect to play. If you're not so much into FPS games or your resolution is lower than 1920x1080, then you could go with the cheaper graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.