System Builder Marathon Q1 2015: $1750 Performance PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX 970 SLI - I cannot see how this would be a proper config given that the 970 VRAM is gimped over 3.5G. That being said with potentially that much gpu power, you would think this would make a great system - I've seen too many threads where hitting the 3.5G limit cause very bad stuttering.
-Bruce

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Too many of which configurations? At this point I'd rather be running 5760x1080 than 4k, if that's where you're going.

This happens when I build based on reader feedback. Guess what? I ordered the day 5 bonus build in anticipation of these responses, even though the 3.5GB barrier wasn't known until after I placed my orders. Enjoy!

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I love that color scheme of the case. Reminds me of me my 73' Nova with the 350 small block painted black and Chevy orange. Makes me want to paint my case with the same theme...CURSE YOU TOM'S HARDWARE!!!!! I though I was done with my pc...

My eyes!!!

Actually, other than the case being an eyesore (IMHO, the high-end build should be at-home in a high-level corporate or engineering office), I might only grumble about the non-modular PSU. On a build like this, a larger data drive is a nit; such a machine could be intended for a networked environment and won't need it anyway.
This brings back a point I've brought up before. For this machine in particular, I think it is important to identify the user, and design a build that meets that person's needs, whether or not it necessarily wins benchmarks.

Multi-GPU without 4k benches is ridiculous. People are more likely to run at 4k than with three 1080p monitors.

Also, 4k is a game by itself. AMD and Nvidia cards act really differently at UHD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is that an offer? I'd LOVE to have a 4k display. I'm sure my colleagues would as well. PM me for the shipping addresses :)

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Your own benchmarks showed that the 8GB versions of the R9 290X performed better than the 970 at higher resolutions, I know DX12 is coming with stacked memory and all but that's still the logical choice until Nvidia releases an 8GB 970.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait...you're blaming me for picking the cards? Did you even read the article? Your colleagues picked the cards in the previous SBM response thread :)

Not sure about the higher resolutions situation though, since I only have a single 2560x1600 and a bunch of 1920x1080 displays. Given that 5760x1080 had already been determined as the limit, I think other readers chose fairly well!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
So personally if I am building a high end machine like this it is going to be for 4k gaming.

With that said I would have:
Ditched the k processor for a regular and used the box cooler.
Take the extra money and buy a storage HDD and faster RAM.

Also it would be really nice if on the high end builds we could get just a few 4k gaming benchmarks.

I'll give this one a passing grade.

You should have put the HAF XB from the mid-range in this rig and found a $40 Cougar case to put in the mid-range. At least then I could forgive you for not using the modular version of the CAPSTONE because you can hide cables very well in an XB. Plus, the XB has superior airflow and expansion room.

I did sigh in relief that you did not try and put another EVGA/Compucase PSU timebomb into this rig though, But really, for that budget you should have got one of the Leadex-based modular units. It seems like the system builders do not respect PSU as the most important part of a build.

GTX 970 should not even be considered for an SLI-build, for obvious reasons. You would have been much better going for an R9 295 which has been on sale for months at less than $700.

I would have sacrificed CPU overclocking and went with the 8 thread Xeon and dumped the Fisher Price AIO if pinching money was a concern. Also could have dropped down to an H97 board with the Xeon.

+1 for not wasting resources on a HDD. I always tell people to add them later. Now if we could just get rid of legacy optical drives...

I'm willing to forgive the SLI GTX970 if only because when this build was spec'ed, the ramifications of the split-VRAM architecture had not been sufficiently examined.
Built in one of the foamed Fractal Designs cases, the cooler noises should be pretty well controlled.
If I win this one, I'll rebuild my AMD rig in this case, and build this one in the Hoplite that one is using, or I'll buy a nicer case for it.

I have to disagree. This is a competition, not a personalized PC building service. I do agree about the case though. Not something I would want others to see.

@Crashman - I did a similar build recently and was seriously considering the H100i, but instead opted for the Cryorg H7 and put the extra money into storage. After playing with your system do you feel it would have been worthwhile to do the same or would you rather keep the H100i? Nice choice with the MX100 256GB. I love it. While not as fast as something like an 840 evo, I feel it has enough features and the right price to match up nicely in value.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Issues with the 970sli aside this is a nice build except for the ugly case which only a Denver Bronco fan could adore. Glad to see you used the h100i. As for the SSD, I only have a 120 with W7 and system/hardware programs and a 240 for personal data, pics and games in my computer, both about 60% filled. Also have an 1T external portable backup. My old 1T hard drive is gathering dust in a box.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's hard to say. Most of the time, you need a pretty big increase in cooling capacity to make a fairly small dent in Haswell core temperatures. Devil's Canyon wasn't the cure we were told to expect.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually you can win, because sourcing everything from Newegg allows us to get the stuff for promotional purposes and give it away! Have you entered the giveaway?

TNT27

Distinguished
I wouldn't mind winning any of these builds. As I currently have the huge budget of 0$ for a new PC, and am stuck with my phenom 2 840, and gt 610 haha. I spend plenty of time building for others, and friends, but that money earned goes into paying the bills

Status
Not open for further replies.