System Builder Marathon, Q2 2014: A Balanced High-End Build

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yeah but you cant blame him he had some ssd now hes addicted

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Again, like the new system for separating performance and non-performance components. However, I don't think you are taking advantage of this enough. You dedicate not just a sentence but an entire section to optical drives and yet all three builds used a $20 DVD drive of which there is not much to say other than it's cheap and you might use it over and over.

Instead you should make the section accessories and talk about which keyboard, mouse/trackball, speakers, monitor, LEDs, etc you would add to this build. Like the HDD you added but didn't count toward value, I think you could also add additional RAM, water cooling, etc to this section and state why it doesn't affect performance but is valuable in other ways. For example, I tend to put 32GB in my builds because I run a lot of VMs and 32GB gives me a *lot* more performance than 8GB would. Another example is a better cooler might have better acoustics than the stock or inexpensive cooler that gets you there on the overclocking test.

what do you use virtual machines for?

g-unit1111

Titan

Why? What's the point in talking about things you would add? Why not just focus on the machine itself and what's in it?
A tower should consist of just the case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, cooler, storage, and GPU, and that's it. You can add stuff, but nothing should be taken away from it.

i think they could of used a monitor instead of an os since an enthusiats usually has a product key. But i understand your point. Do you know what a virtual machine is used for

Maybe that's because this website lost all credibility to obtain samples of the processor apparently while other website have the processor and have it benchmarked a week before it was released.

in 2nd page:
It was the fastest unlocked CPU in Intel’s LGA 1150 arsenal back when we placed our orders for this quarter, and nothing less than the best would approach that machine's compelling performance. Of course, in the time between then and now, Intel introduced the Core i7-4790K. But it's only supposed to hit availability today.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-system-build-value-compared,3859.html

it's not a review nor a roundup. it's a build marathon using retail parts from a retailer website.
the i7 4790k became available just days ago.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe you said that because you know I'm under rebuttal restrictions. So look it up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-overclock-performance,3845.html
That sample Tom's Hardware introduced a few weeks ago has been around much longer, but it did not come from Newegg. Unless you can prove to me that someone else was buying these from Newegg in May, I'm going to have to say that you're the one who's lost all credibility.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I'm actually waiting on somebody to review the actual retail chip, than use the sample chip that's given to reviewers ( I know the name, just my brain is malfunctioning right now, with other stuff going on around me...). It's better to have an authentic chip than some hopped up chip with false readings and specs. I hate being lied to...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Given that my 4770K out-overclocks his 4790K, I doubt he got a specially-picked chip. And I don't think they sent a slow sample on purpose either. It's still luck-of-the-draw, but with fewer heat issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.