System Builder Marathon Q2 2015: $1600 Mini Performance PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assuming you have another working computer to do that with, the builder may not.
A smart investment is actually just to buy an external CD/DVD drive with it's own AC adapter so you can use it on however many computers you need whenever you need it.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Assuming you have another working computer to do that with, the builder may not.
A smart investment is actually just to buy an external CD/DVD drive with it's own AC adapter so you can use it on however many computers you need whenever you need it.

I'm not saying the builder should transfer the data. I'm saying 'why not send it to him/her on a usb stick?'

Really, I think for most people the disc drive has come and gone. It's nothing more than a 'just in case' item. I think I've used the internal on my desktop and my external drive maybe 5 times combined in the past 5 years.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
You guys know that Crashman just sticks in some of those little references to make sure I'm reading. I'm going to take him to see Straight Out Of Compton when he comes out to LA. Then we'll see.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
C'mon boss, no need to pick up the hammer!
Speaking of Compton, you should take some time check out the movie Colors, if you haven't yet. Not only is it action-packed, but the soundtrack is off the hook! YOU'LL NEVER WANT TO BBOX AGAIN!

Because USB sticks are WAY more expensive to produce than CDs/DVDs.

And because I actually have multiple computers, when I bought my retail edition of windows 8.1 pro, I just downloaded the ISO from microsoft and burned it to a CD and stuck it in my important documents drawer.

The problem is still it's kind of a PITA to make a USB boot installer for windows, but with constant internet connections, maybe Microsoft can setup an internet/"cloud"-based "boot from the internet" to download windows 10/11/12 with some cooperation from mobo manufacturers.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

True, but at the moment you only need an 8GB drive for a USB installer, and you can obtain packs of those which bring the price to about $2 each. I'd rather pass someone a $2 USB drive with windows on it than a $20 DVD drive to read the 5 cent DVD which will then sit in their case taking up space and consuming power for years and years. I have noticed a few OEM's are now offering a USB drive with windows on it too, though HP in particular charges an extra $45 for it (lol).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tell Microsoft to do the flash drive distro. They can lock the factory partition and have a small second partition for the file that gets updated in custom versions.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Correct. All of our Dell machines come with the Windows OS on USB now. Even the Windows license sticker is applied to the USB. For the rest of their software, all they send is a piece of paper with the key on it and a link to download the installer.

I'm surprised to hear that they're still using dvd's at all.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

You know, I love that idea, and frankly I'm surprised they aren't offering it as an option already. Of course it makes sense that they would default to a DVD since it's the cheapest media, but it wouldn't change their margin all that much considering they could probably get their hands on 8GB flash drives for pennies as well. I'll send... who's in charge over there now? Oh yeah Satya... I'll ring him up right now. Even if it's not the standard media in the box, there's no reason it couldn't be an option! Heck, I'll bet they could even turn a profit on it by charging a $10 premium on the USB version and people wouldn't even blink.

ejsame

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
i've been savin' some meney for a while, and i believe this rig is actually a really great choice for a budget, but i would the thermaltake core v1 instead the diypc htpc cube, offers a better airflow, is a lot more sexy, and is only 10$ the difference

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's OK, but I wanted something small.

f-14

Distinguished
best mini itx build on toms ever so far. and the only thing keeping it from being perfect was a modular psu.
very well done.
(who else thought subwoofer ?)

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
PSU used is not Haswell Certified.

It's fully stable under all the validation and benchmark runs. Not to mention that it's running in a less than optimal situation.

IIRC, there were other PSUs that were rated as 80 Plus Bronze but had the performance of 80 Plus Silver rated units. If the real world tests prove that this unit can handle an overclocked Haswell-E CPU, then you shouldn't care about certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.