System Builder Marathon, Q4 2013: $800 Gaming PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I fail to understand why in all of these "builds" I see everywhere do people not inclued a $100 Windows OS cost. You're basically lying, if you really were building a gaming PC you would have to get Windows. Most people, even those who are building their own PCs, wouldn't have a clue on how to install Linux anyways.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Not entirely true. PCs games seem to increasingly end up on Steam, so you could actually run these build with SteamOS and still have access to the majority of your PC Games...

I was just about to post this same thing. I find it odd that Tom's doesn't include OS price in their builds. Although, I imagine a great a number of DIY PC Builders probably don't have many qualms about pirating a copy of Windows anyways. But it's odd that Tom's doesn't try to discourage this by including the OS as a factor in their builds. And I doubt they would even use the cheap Home Premium ones, everyone knows Professional and Ultimate are the only ways to go.

That's assuming they would even want to have to deal with Linux, or only use Steam games, even if Steam does provide a wide variety of games, there will always be something they are lacking. Or those of us who still like to play the occasional game that was made Pre-millennium, because those games were and still are some of the best and well thought out games.

The additional cost of the OS is fixed; if it's needed, then it would be added by the individual builder. Someone rebuilding, or upgrading to be in line with a SBM machine may already have a Windows license that can be used.
Really, because this is in many ways a hardware [value] "competition" among the three writers (Don and Thomas must be masochists, although I think Don did beat Paul once on value, and Thomas' aesthetics are often sweet), they could just switch to some variety of Linux to run all their benchmarks, but then the results might not translate into what most people will be using.

Morituri

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.