System Builder Marathon Q4 2014: Value Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
I was personally not a fan of the drab, bueraucrat approved case choices but overall these are some sweet rigs. I actually bought the MSI H81 / Pentium G3258 combo for my HTPC based off the recommendations here and have been really pleased with the results so far.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMD is over-represented in SBMs, with over 2/3 of prior graphics cards being Radeons and even one of the cards in this one being an R9 270X.

You should print that statement on foil before making your next hat :)

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
A couple questions: I've heard that there are some new games that don't work at all on dual core processors including the famed Pentium G3258. Have you encountered this issue and would it effect your recommendations if it's true?

Bannereus

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Tough break for Don ... too bad this one couldn't be solved with a hacksaw xD

If overclocking wasn't part of the competition, the $1100 rig would have been the closest to beating the value of the budget entry that I've seen in a while.
I'm really glad to see that efficiency and value are coming to the higher-performance market (even without overclocking savy).

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
If you're looking for value performance you can't use a card over $250, you have to SLI/XF 2 - 200-250 cards. But people aren't looking for that as frequently as it adds the cost of a much bigger power draw.

I'm still hoping for a build that dual-sockets to get rid of the CPU bottleneck.

g-unit1111

Titan

The Pentium G3258 is a good processor, and people like it because it's a cheap overclock friendly solution where the low end Intel i3s are not. But as an owner of one, for gaming it really has no practical usage. The system that I use mine in is mainly a media playback machine.

ykki

Honorable
""As usual, Paul wins every value metric except the one that he didn’t compete for: gaming at 5760x1080""
lol this happens so many times it not even funny.

I would love to win any of these, if only for the platform upgrade over AM3+/S1155/older. The $600 PC would go to my sister's family, likely to her husband, who is running a S775 machine now. Either of the other two I'd keep myself, as substantial upgrades (although I might use my own case and drives). While not a big overclocker, I might look into an alternate motherboard if that's where the problem lies on the $1200 machine.

Question: when you guys box up the parts to send to winners, do you leave the CPUs on the motherboards to protect the pins, or do you remove them and put the covers back on? It seems to me that placing the CPU is one of the few "dangerous" steps of building due to the potential for bent LGA pins. Your thoughts?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I leave the CPU in the socket to protect the pins, but I don't know how the other guys do it. We don't have a packing supervisor :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nobody knows. The article also comments on a couple other mysterious results.

Status
Not open for further replies.