System Builder Marathon: The $4,500 Super PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]cjdavis7[/nom]So, how many times can they drop NewEgg's name in one article?[/citation]

The reason we partnered up with NewEgg on this was to have access to a much wider range of hardware then we'd otherwise have. My hope is that this is an asset to our readers and does not interfere editorially.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Duncan NZ[/nom]I'd drop Neweggs name lots if they gave me a $4500 system[/citation]

Just to clarify, all of the hardware goes straight back to NewEgg once the story is done. The arrangement simply gives us access to the hardware, straight from e-tail, to build, benchmark, and write about. It's good for us because we're saved the effort of finding manufacturers who want to send out their hardware and we think it's good for our readers because we can construct the systems we'd *really* build on these budgets. =)

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
4500 . Why would anyone spend 800 on a case? I dont really see a point to the article but oh well . New egg does have the best prices out there but mwave does beat it sometimes.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]4500 . Why would anyone spend 800 on a case? I dont really see a point to the article but oh well . New egg does have the best prices out there but mwave does beat it sometimes.[/citation]

Why would anyone spend $500 on a video card or $1,000 on a processor? ;-)

This is why we do three stories with a trio of price targets--something for everyone!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Anyone more concerned with looks and styling than just function would spend more than a few bucks on a case.
ie. Anyone who'd pick an alfa romeo or a lexus over an ordinary honda accord would want a more expensive case.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
We should also note that the on-board Intel controller is capable of excellent RAID 5 performance
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I am not thrilled by the intel raid controller. Perhaps the ich10 is better than the ich9 in this regard, but I only scored about 90mb/sec max read speed in raid5 (5x500gb) on my p35. That's the same speed as my 3x 35gb raptors in raid 0 on my secondary system, so it's okay. But still. A single new spinpoint is faster than the raid 5, so I'm quite sure my ich9r controller is requiring too many resources to work properly fast. Or it's my oc that causes it to slow down somehow. Dunno yet.
Anyway, my experience with intel software raid running raid5 isn't that it's speedy.

ps. wouldn't it have made sense to save a few bucks on storage (2x1,5tb or something) and added memory cooling blocks to go with the water cooled chassis?

randomizer

Champion
Memory doesn't get hot enough to justify losing 2TB of storage just so you can add some fancy cooling blocks to it. 4TB does sound pretty sweet, but I don't know how I'd fill up 500GB let alone 8x that. E-peen I guess.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"2.) The Cooler Master CMPSU-1000HX power supply has ferrite rings on the flat, removable PCI Expresshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express power cables that prevented them from being run between cards. We had to use the soldered-on "round" cables for the top card."

it's still a corsair psu according to the picture. (page 6)

@ randomizer : If you'd replace the 4 drives with 2 bigger ones you'd only lose 1tb of storage, and half your theoretical read/write speed (and slightly improve your seek time). Anyway, if memory is running hot I would definetly want some cooling for it. My first choice would be to throw away the sound card and see if 90 bucks was enough for a decent cooler (onboard sound is excellent really), but since toms is rather happy about the sound, I think storage is the best place to compromise.

Anyway, my point is - add a cooler to the modules! actually ocz already have models out there with watercooling built in - since they picked ocz they could've gotten those if newegg had em.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]randomizer : If you'd replace the 4 drives with 2 bigger ones you'd only lose 1tb of storage, and half your theoretical read/write speed (and slightly improve your seek time). [/citation]Oh yes, sorry I missed the 1.5TB that you mentioned in your previous post. I seem to be blinded to things in brackets, yet ironically I use brackets alot.

EDIT: Can somebody remove the first two comments?

I'm not sure I would run half that comp on a 500W PSU, which is essentially what you are doing with a Corsair 1000HX. I'm a big fan of Corsair, but the 2 VERY distinct 12V rails make me nervous here. It's an incredibly robust PSU, but I would feel better, if I were building it, using the Silverstone 1200W.

It's a shame you couldn't have included this new vapor chamber tech ATI is adopting. Time marches on I guess and there will always be some new thing.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Proximon[/nom]I'm not sure I would run half that comp on a 500W PSU, which is essentially what you are doing with a Corsair 1000HX. I'm a big fan of Corsair, but the 2 VERY distinct 12V rails make me nervous here. It's an incredibly robust PSU, but I would feel better, if I were building it, using the Silverstone 1200W.It's a shame you couldn't have included this new vapor chamber tech ATI is adopting. Time marches on I guess and there will always be some new thing. [/citation]

What is the problem with running half the system on a 500W rail? My system at home (conroe @ 1.6v, 7xsata 2xide, 4870 & fans) could make do with something like 550w total according to the online psu calculator, so I'm sure a 500w rail would be plenty for 'half a system'

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Its a very nice build. I like it.

However, its useful to note that this build comes at the heels of the release of X58 platforms with mobo manufacture's already demo'ing retail to near retail packages and the shipment of Nehalem chips a couple of months or less away, its going to make this $4500 build obsolete. While there is always something new around the corner, this isnt just an extra doo dad added to an existing platform but a completely new platform non compatible with the current line of chips.
Its a big deal. Its also very likely GPU companies will release revamped special edition cards to go with all those shiny new icore chips, likely leaving those 4870's behind.

Seems like the total max load on this machine would be around 800W. So, you would want to balance the load just right so that you stayed around 400W per rail... Actually, the Corsair tested as 85% efficient in that range, so I guess that leaves me with the margin I would want.
If Corsair wants to approve this PSU for quad crossfire, and they do, with the 5 year warranty and service to back it up, that's good enough.
if it doesn't last 5 years... you get a new one ;)

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Nothing wrong with the Corsair 1000w- it has been used on TRI SLI 280s without problems, the parts used are actually rated at 600w+ on each rail and Corsair support is amazing to say the least.

i dont like the idea of using a RAID 5 solution- write times are bad, recovery time is too big and with large drives there is a real chance that an error during recovery will make the whole array unusable. I went with a RAID 0 system drive and an external drive for dayly drive image backup. the intel approach for RAID 10 (instead of the 0+1 mentioned) is also great: mirror first and stripe later, and it works with an uneven number of drives: just createc a RAID1 setup with more than 2 drives on the Intel RAID manager.

I would also point out that the "new" Asus sound card with HD audio/HDMI 1.3a support is already available for sale in the USA, so choosing a last generation sound card for a $4500 system at least strange.

last but not least : running DDR3 at CAS 8/1333Mhz will make the system actually SLOWER than currunt top end DDR2 based results, even at 8GB! P45 is THE king in the pre Nehalem era.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820146799instead of the 4tb : / I duno If I even come close to half a tb waste of money if ya ask me unless your a highly addictive to downloading stuff but even then it is hard[/citation]
You're saying that people who use more than 500gb disk is a highly addictive downloader?

I've got over 3tb of data at home, and I've only got a 2mbit/512kbit internet line. How much do you think I'm downloading ? No sire. In this modern world where any game or productivity title takes up space in gigabyte notation 500 is actually a rather small number.

[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]4TB does sound pretty sweet, but I don't know how I'd fill up 500GB let alone 8x that. E-peen I guess.[/citation]

Easy- you record HD video with your computer. Uncompressed, full-bitrate 1920x1080p HD video takes up 19 GB/hour. A 500 GB HDD has about 465 GB of space, which would let you record about 24 hours of video. That's about 8 to 10 movies, which is ridiculously small for a DVR. Even heavily-compressed HD signals that cable and satellite companies like to send out are still something like 8 GB/hour. 500 GB would be a little small as you could record 58 hours of video. 500 GB would be fine if you only record SD stuff, though as that is more like 2 GB/hour and 500 GB would give you about 230 hours of recording time, which is quite a bit.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Well, I supose if it is just for gaming I am not going to come close to 500gb but ya downloading HD stuff your going to need the space.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Why no SSD? If this is the high-budget machine, I would expect to see a high-performance SSD for O/S, programs, and temp space. Yeah that raises the price a lot, but it also raises the I/O rate potential quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.